Cumulus Country

Moderator: jimmya

Blocklo

Cumulus Country

Post by Blocklo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:51 am

Wow. So with the big merger finally officially I am wondering how it is going to affect all my friends at Cumulus and Citadel stations. I know that Nashville and Dallas are two of the markets that will now have two Cumulus Country stations...I'm hoping this works out for the best for everyone but I can only imagine there will be some shake ups!

PizzaLicker

Re: Cumulus Country

Post by PizzaLicker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:15 pm

I wonder about all this, especially in Nashville with WSM-FM and WKDF now under the same miserable ownership.

I also hope for the best but just going by the other Cumulus outlets, all playing 17 records, all programmed by 1 person, I guess I just am not that optimistic.

daver

Post by daver » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:41 am

Envy of what? Cumulus is the worst run company in radio. Citadel had an awful and "money grabbing CEO" in Farid and his greed ultimately turned his post bankruptcy shareholders against him. Lew, the vulture, knew exactly when to strike and it worked out for him.

At Citadel, programmers are allowed to program. Their stations all have sharp looking websites.
And, Scott Shannon was the head of programming.

Compare that to Cumulus. Strict playlists e-mailed by Jan Jeffries to all the stations on Monday. These are the songs YOU WILL PLAY. No discussion.

Corporate mandate that middays and nights will be voice tracked. In some markets, you have morning co hosts voice tracking shows after their AM shift.

Bad sales principles. You will sell our category of the week. Doesn't matter if your local sellers could bring in more money selling to other clients. And cameras in conference rooms so the henchmen in Atlanta can check in at any time.

As bad as some at Citadel may have thought they had it, get ready. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Envy? Clear Channel looks like paradise compared to this bunch.

SkyPotato

Post by SkyPotato » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:42 am

I am not saying that Cumulus is not a great place to work but is it great for the listeners that the stations aren't programmed locally at all? Especially with more than one Country stations in some of these markets now being programmed by Jan.

daver

Post by daver » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:10 pm

I get very offended by people who suggest that Cumulus employees are somehow incompetent because "
all decisions are handed down by Atlanta." Some of the best programmers in this industry work for Cumulus.

Gooky,

I agree. Cumulus has some very talented programmers. Never said they didn't. Problem is, they don't get to program. It would be one thing if the consultants sent you a list of suggested adds and the local programmer could be the ultimate decision maker. But that's not how it works. And the cameras in conference rooms so they can "check in" is very insulting and demeaning.

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Gooky...Envy? Not really. I worked at Cumulus. I know what it is to work with the likes of Jan Jefferies and his cronies. They have blown out some very good programmers and on-air talent.

It's a sweatshop with below average wages. I have seen salespeople robbed of their commissions and this is just a tip of the ice berg.

Gooky, I'm sure you're a mediocre talent getting paid the usual 30K.

It truly is a sad day for radio.

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:24 pm

Strict playlists e-mailed by Jan Jeffries to all the stations on Monday. These are the songs YOU WILL PLAY. No discussion.

The reason for this is #1 Jan's HUGE Ego
and secondly...his INSECURITY. If he wasn't a dictator some talented PD might show him up. God forbid Jan to give total control to a pd in a market and then that pd takes it to #1. Jan is out of the spotlight. Can't have that!

SkyPotato

Post by SkyPotato » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:20 am

I just find it unfortunate that great programmers like WIVK's Mike Hammond will be handed a play list.
I know they are looking to roll out the changes soon...sigh. It's just sad for all those great stations...which will now all sound even more the same.