Remakes

Moderator: jimmya

musica22

Remakes

Post by musica22 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:44 pm

What is your opinion on Country artists remaking songs from other formats? We have quite a few out right now: Bucky Covington covers Nickelback ("Gotta Be Somebody"), Jimmy Wayne covers Hall & Oates ("Sara Smile"), and a new artist named Margaret Durante covers Kings Of Leon ("Use Somebody").

Jimmy nails Sara Smile and Bucky's voice is a perfect reminiscent of Chad Kroeger's voice, so the song works for him. But that Kings of Leon song is getting worn out at Top 40 and "Gotta Be Somebody" was recently way overplayed at Top 40. I know that Country listeners are also Top 40 listeners, so I'm wondering if people want to hear those songs over and over again.

Jimmy Wayne did a smart thing and covered an over-30-year-old song, so the younger demo probably won't know the difference, even though he sings it JUST like H&O did. But then again his cover sounds VERY AC, so would it work for our format?

I just wonder...

RabbitBro

Re: Remakes

Post by RabbitBro » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:03 pm

I think remakes are not that great for our format, or for any format for that matter. Can't anyone come up with anything new anymore? What are we going to remake 20 years from now? A remake of a remake?

mlsaxton64@att.net

Post by mlsaxton64@att.net » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:35 am

I think their has always been remakes for example Conway Twitty with The Rose And Slow Hand, and Sonny James did it with some of his hits.

capman

Post by capman » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:24 pm

I judge a remake on the quality of the song and the performance of the song. Jimmy Wayne does an amazing vocal on Sara Smile and I think country radio should support this fine effort by Jimmy Wayne. Bucky does a very good job with Gotta Be Somebody.Bucky will bring in the younger demo and right now the format has Taylor Swift,Kellie Pickler and Carrie Underwood drawing in the younger demo,so it good to have new male artists drawing in the younger female demo.I ahven't heard the Kings Of Leon remake.

hoseppy

Post by hoseppy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Amen capman, the quality and performance are huge. But, Jimmy Wayne's 'Sara Smile' makes me want to do one thing...hear the original, just like Mark Chestnut's 'Rollin With The Flow'. If you're gonna remake...remake, don't redo. Give me something more or keep it in your live show.

Good discussion.

Drunkdog

Post by Drunkdog » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Hoseppy, I agree with you 100%!!! I'm tired of these "remakes" sounding exactly like the originals. The point of a "remake" is to re-make it your own way, not re-copy.