Splitting up Country Music into seperate genres

Moderator: jimmya

Drakea83

Splitting up Country Music into seperate genres

Post by Drakea83 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:05 am

I think after last night's CMT Awards is a great time to bring up the discussion of creating a new branch of country music. All of this pop/rap/country that's become increasingly popular (because it's basically just pop music) needs to be its own genre.

85% of what was on that show last night didn't resemble country music for anything. The George Jones tribute was all of a minute and the guy singing had to have the words written down? That's a downright disgrace!

I propose that Country music does what all other genres have done and have a split. There's CHR, Rythmic CHR, Active Rock, Rock, Alternative. Now there needs to be a COUNTRY and a POP COUNTRY chart. That way people who still want to hear fiddles and steel guitars and songs in 3/4 time can still hear that on the radio. Put all of the Carrie Underwood, Florida Georgia Line, Jason Aldean, and Nelly on the POP COUNTRY format, and let's put George Strait, Alan Jackson, and up-and-comers who aren't on the charts now because they are too traditional, on the COUNTRY chart.

I know this isn't likely to happen because so much money is changing hands and the pop country stuff is selling so hot (again because it's straight up freakin' pop music.) But I just wanted to put it out there so IF it does happen, I can say "Holy crap, I said we should do that way back when!"

Chris325

Re: Splitting up Country Music into seperate genres

Post by Chris325 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:47 pm

You're right, but Carrie Underwood can sing country music. Check out Cupid's Got A Shotgun on her latest album. Brad Paisley plays on it. That song should've been released as a single, instead they go with the most pop sounding song on the album in See You Again because that's the safe choice for what the format plays today.

Today's average country listener listened to pop/top 40 when they were a teen. By the late 90s, early 00s, top 40 started to sound nothing like it did in the 80s & 90s, so these listeners migrated over to the country dial because the likes of Shania Twain and Faith Hill were at least giving these listeners a piece of what they were used to hearing. And the envelope has been pushed more and more each year to what we're getting now: pop music with trace elements of country in it.

Traditional country got completely squeezed out. Any time an artist releases a traditional country song, it flops miserably on the charts, often before getting up to #40 or #45 (if it even makes the top 50).

You're not going to find many stations that still play traditional country. Of the eight stations I listen to around here, seven are all pop country. One bills itself as True Country, and it does play a bit of the pop stuff, but it will also still play Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, etc. It's rare to find a station these days that's still willing to play everything, old and new.

Drakea83

Re: Splitting up Country Music into seperate genres

Post by Drakea83 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:46 am

I listened to Top 40 and rock in the mid-late 90's because of Shania and Faith Hill. By that time it had already started getting more crossover, but there was still a segment of real country music at that time. I believe that there are still people out there who want to hear country music and not just the stuff that gets shoved down our throats because the band is A) pretty B) millions of dollars behind them C) play catchy BS music that anyone can write.

Hey, people have their formula to make money, great, but all too often the songs on the radio have little substance, and the songs that do are still marketing ploys. I'm just bitter I know, but I'm tired of junk singles released to radio and everyone jumping on board. It's a crying shame that it took George Strait 6 months to hit #1 and people drop him right after, when lesser quality songs shoot up to #1 because they are the flavor of the month.