Am I the Only one who doesn't get Bobby Bones???

Moderator: jimmya

bigstew

Re: Am I the Only one who doesn't get Bobby Bones???

Post by bigstew » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Countryboy, while I understand your point of view, I respectfully disagree. I am not sure how old you are, or how long you have been in radio, but if it is for any length of time you will remember when local stations used to have the artists call in and stop by. Yes the air personality was the gate keeper so to speak, but it also made that local personality larger than life to their listeners! It gave the community the nostalgia of the "remember when Garth Brooks did this" or whoever it was in their LOCAL community. It gave the listeners a sense of pride and ownership in country music. It let them own their own station!

My argument to you is quite simply this, when you look at statistics taken from surveys across the nation, Radio is still the LEADER in the consumption of music and information by far. It is not a dying medium that the corporate giants would lead us to believe in order to service their share holders. Fact is, the large corporations have driven rates down so far that local "mom and pop" stations have a hard time competing. That is just a fact! They enjoy success because they can not really be taken down unless a local owner has deep pockets that is competing directly against them. They enjoy nationally syndicated morning shows, voice tracked day parts, and a variety of syndicated shows they play on the weekends for little to no cost to the local market. The local station who wants to be local cannot afford to compete against that with live personalities because the rates for spots are so low from the "national" station, they could in no way ever be profitable.

With radio still being the leader, people still want compelling content. It is true that they no longer need to listen to the radio to get their weather (they probably do that on their smartphone) however they still do want the local elements that only local radio can provide. People want to hear someone they relate to and feel like is a friend. Someone they can have dinner with at a local restaurant, see shopping in the local stores. They want so desperately to trust the person they are listening to and feel a friendship with that person. I would argue that most people in major markets still tune in to the radio for traffic information, local news, and GASP.... local school closings and emergency weather! If you doubt what I say survey 100 people at random and ask them what they listen to radio for. (You know what happens when you do, they listen for WEATHER and TRAFFIC first and foremost in morning drive, and that is a statistical fact.) Local and compelling radio is always a better choice if you can afford good talent!

With that being said, it is cool to hear Trace Adkins, Carrie Underwood or whoever on the radio yes. Is it a long term solution for a major market like Orlando, Denver, Chicago? I think not. The success of local radio in those markets from stations like K92.2, US99, and KYGO would prove otherwise! They have been successful because of great talent, a commitment to the community, and a willingness to work hard for what they have! Syndicated shows expect those things, and view success more as a right than a gift from local listeners, they rely on star power to project them into the top ratings spots! Those great stations (and they are just a few of many) are programmed with character, tenacity, and a willingness to win on the local level, one listener at a time. Something that nationally syndicated shows will never do!

One last thought......... where will our new and upcoming talent come from? With no over night, part time, and evening positions to cultivate talent from. Something to think about for the future of our profession. The talent pool gets shallower with evaporation of talent leaving the industry with each passing day!

See you on the radio!

Big Stew

moosemichaels

Post by moosemichaels » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:24 am

Hi everybody, this is my first post here. I've been in radio since I was 14 and I'm nearly 30. I started as weekends, then to overnights and after a brief stint in engineering I have finally scored a gig as a morning show host in a small town near Nashville. Bobby Bones isn't for everyone but I enjoy him and I think he is doing it right. It's just him and his friends having fun. Radio, no matter where it's from, should be fun. And Big Stew is right. The station I left was the only station that had an overnight talent and even that was gone after they decided to jukebox it and move me to engineering. The creme (or is it cream? Ahhh who cares) rises to the top. My dream is the same as Bobby's and hard work and perserverance will give the best chance to get there. I love and still believe in radio! Have a great day!!

kari45

Post by kari45 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:04 pm

I do not car for Bobby Bones ot his show at all.

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Sun May 25, 2014 6:22 pm

Bobby Bones didn't require talent. CC are the ones who put him there. It was decided by 2 maybe 3 high up the corporate ladder.
Same with NashFM or whatever they're called. :?

Drakea83

Post by Drakea83 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Bobby's show is what it is. He does a good job with it. My problem with him and the show is that neither he nor the music he's playing is country. It's just more of the same pop country stuff.

radiostuntboy

Post by radiostuntboy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:34 pm

Hate to bump an old thread, but I work for the newcomer country station in Augusta, GA, WSCG-FM. We go up against longtime competitor WKXC's live and local morning show and BEAT THEM TO BITS because of Bobby Bones. I don't know what Bobby is doing (I'm never up that early to really listen) but whatever he is doing, it's working. Our morning numbers book over book prove it. It's gotten so bad that WKXC has scrambled to "fix" their morning show not once, not twice, but 3 times since we've signed on in 2013.