Your Music Position...... "___ in a row!" Is it effective?

Moderator: jimmya

countryboy

Re: Your Music Position...... "___ in a row!" Is it effectiv

Post by countryboy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:53 am

"And probably not coming back for the second of those not music breaks."

If that was true, nobody would listen. But hundreds of millions do, so it's not. The commercial load really hasn't changed in 50 years. Station economies are built on it. You can do fewer commercials, but then you'd have to cut the budget even more drastically than it is now.

Statistically, lots of people sit through commercials. Over 90% of the audience stays when the commercials start. Maybe not you, maybe not your kids, but lots of people do. Shorter but more frequent breaks do not work any better. An interruption is the same, regardless of how long it is. Planning spot breaks isn't guess-work. We have miles of research on it, and what you hear on the radio works better than the alternatives you suggest.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:33 am

"Is the ____ (Insert your stations number here) in a row an effective marketing tool?"

By phrasing it that way, it's a marketing department thing. Typically, they're the ones who come up with these ideas. Programmers then work with whatever number is decided. And no, programmers don't play "bad songs to fill out the hour." That's just stupid. You play the exact same songs regardless of what number the marketing people come up with. Is marketing effective? My answer is when it works, it is. When it isn't, it's time to get a new marketing department.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:35 am

"Yeah, and I want to hear somebody honsetly tell me that they'd want THEIR business to be paying for the 7th spot in a 'break.' "

Nobody buys just one spot. And the way spot rotation works is you might be the 7th once and the 1st another time. Also, if someone tunes in to the station during the spot break, they're more likely to hear the 7th spot than the 1st.

But I thought this thread was about music, not spots.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:22 am

BTW advertisers are given the chance to buy position in the cluster, but most don't. They know what they're buying.

zebster

Post by zebster » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:28 am

Define "effective'.
Explain how that is measured.
All the rest is opinion.
In MY opinion, the # of songs isn't a compelling selling point.
We call our long sets "Long Sets". They are what we say, but we're not straining ourselves to sell it.
In any event; it isn't a primary position for us.

viktorwilt

Re: Your Music Position...... "___ in a row!" Is it effective?

Post by viktorwilt » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:42 am

I don't see the point in referring to commercial breaks in a negative light through programming. Jocks should give extra love to advertisers who support the station. Show listeners the importance of our advertising clients. Radio is going to have commercials. Make them a positive thing.