40 weeks is too long to play a "current"

Moderator: jimmya

ken scott

40 weeks is too long to play a "current"

Post by ken scott » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:28 pm

This is a plea to the consultants and large radio groups. Please add new music sooner. I'm in a small market and I'm doing my job by adding new artists and new music as somewhat of a testing ground. I have less to lose than the large market stations and I'm able to be a bit more "nimble" in the music choices. The problem...I will add a song while relatively new...doing the bidding of the record company...give the song a fair amount of spins for 20 weeks, where at that point I want to drop the song, but I get push back from the record label because the song is JUST getting some adds from a consultant with many stations, or a group consultant. I'm asked to play songs for 40 weeks at times. I have the autonomy to drop at any time, but I do want to keep the peace with the labels. Can there be a happy medium? Can the consultants/groups "man-up" and jump on new music faster? I'm happy to be a breaker for some acts I believe in, but I've already told my label friends that I can't stay on a record for 40 weeks just so they can get maximum spins/exposure. For the sake of my listeners, I can't do it. So, large markets, be better stewards of radio. You guys love research and Edison Research from CRS shows listeners want to discover new music...let's all work to that end while still being smart in our choices, rotation and time spent on a tune! Now, let's talk about those ridiculous long stop-sets twice an hour...what a way to kill radio for the younger demos! I'm finished venting...thanks!

chris57

Re: 40 weeks is too long to play a "current"

Post by chris57 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:45 pm

Your listeners are a hell of a lot more important than the record company. I also work in a small market where there is a lot more TSL than your typical larger market. The consultants are a lot more concerned about the large market stations then they are about you. There are other ways to get music but replacing your listeners could be a different matter altogether.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:55 pm

The problem is the labels are releasing next singles the minute the current peaks. Granger Smith just went #1, and the follow-up is already going for adds. That's too quick. Edison Research did a forum at CRS years ago, showing that country kills its young. By the time a song peaks, the audience is just starting to recognize it and like it. Should we stop playing it just because the next single has been released? Of course not.

Case in point: Canaan Smith had a #1 with Love You Like That. It took 53 weeks for that song to peak. It's still testing well. His follow up has been around for about 28 weeks already. It's just breaking into the Top 30. But Love You Like That is still getting good research! Why are we killing off great songs that our audience likes? Please explain.

ken scott

Post by ken scott » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:15 am

In response to the Caanan Smith tune. I don't stop playing a song when it achieves number one. It goes into a power recurrent category so it still gets exposure but not at the same rotation as a current. My question is...was that song played on a station for the full 53 weeks? My point being, I'm a breaker at times and I can't afford to play a song in current rotation for that long. My audience would burn out on the song. A complaint about radio is the extreme repetition of currents. There needs to be repetition to introduce the song and I think 20 to 30 weeks is enough. Research has shown that our audience wants to discover new artists. Let's give them that and still hang onto the songs doing well without beating the audience over the head. Country used to play a song 10 to 15 weeks and then it was over. That's pretty short, but at least we had some music and artists moving through the system. Let's find a happy medium.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:17 pm

Everybody adds and drops songs at their own pace. Large radio groups sometimes add songs early, as iHeart did with Jake Owen last week. They will stay with that song for the full run of the single, regardless of how long. If you want to get everyone to agree to do things the same way, it's not going to work.