GLENN BECK

Moderator: pmsimon

cuddzu

Winterwest...

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:47 pm

"I've dined and partied and skied with Hollywood stars, Presidents, and royalty. I've also hung out with guys and gals that wait on tables, tune skis, build houses and work on RVs. I'm attracted to who people are, not what they do or what they have."

I thought at first you were singing the song from Charlene, "I've Never Been To Me."

skerr, 9/22/2009 5:05:18 AM
Message #243999
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

No, Skerr...

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:47 pm

...it's my own song.

winterwest, 9/22/2009 6:05:28 AM
Message #244001
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

Beck-Ola

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Beck, Limbaugh, Savage, Hannity et al. I know it's freedom of
speech blah- blah- woof -woof. What ever happened to
integrity and honesty, and of course Truth in reporting?

What about SLANDER?

A suit or two to hit them where they live? $$$$$land

russrussproductions, 9/22/2009 3:51:48 PM
Message #244027
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

russrussproductions, rush and the gang

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:48 pm

amen brother, good post.

zacster, 9/23/2009 7:30:56 AM
Message #244039
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

CREATIVE?

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm not a radio basher. I've made my living in the medium for a long time and still am making $$ - granted, a bit less these days, but ...

As I see TV/print/outdoor and other medium stretch and grow, I would love to be part of a station and/or a chain that would take some chances. I bash on John Sebastian is because of his "the most music" crap that seems to dazzle a few execs whenever he needs a gig. It might even work for a book or two because he gets the suckers to spend $$ promoting the station, but it really just squashes creativity. He's just a small player in the overall game. The best radio I think I've done was at 2 major market stations where I was led to the control room and asked to ID at the top of the hour and get news and traffic in ... and that was about it. There were times I messed up or did something more foolish than funny and I wasn't every listener's choice but the numbers were very, very impressive. Both those stations rocked - it wasn't just me but the entire staffs felt liberated and were at the very top of their game. THAT'S what I miss - whether it's AM or FM or podcast or Net or CB.

It's very difficult to be creative when a company has too many chiefs and not enough warriors PLUS you have guys doing the work of 2, 3 or more positions.

RussRuss - your example hit home, man. I would do an on-air bit that I worked on a bunch. Listeners responded, the artist liked it, tons of compliments - and the PD was pissed because I was 2 minutes late into a stop set.

Radio guys were and still are so concerned with the minutiae that the big picture got away from them. Steve Jobs is just the opposite - get a big picture look at the future and the little stuff will fall in place.

waverunner, 9/23/2009 8:43:35 PM
Message #244073
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

waverunner

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Creative vs non-creative. I recall when I first went to work for CHUM/Toronto... arguably one of the greatest top-40 stations in history.

I'd come from CKLW, the "Big 8", the epitome of the Bill Drake era. Bob Wood, the legendary Program Director, called me in his office and said "Scotty, you do the formatics great, but in order to succeed on this station you have to go beyond the format and become a personality.

I was immediately uncomfortable since I'd believed that the format was king, and that any "personality" was regarded as excess chatter.

He went on to say "I'll help you along, but ultimately you have to become a unique air talent on your own, by discovering who you are, and projecting that on the air. We want you to be a star in this town."

He was true to his word, and I never regarded an on-air position the same again.

pbergin, 9/24/2009 6:15:07 AM
Message #244078
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

Creative Part Deux

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Thx Waverunner. Now, pbergin, You have obviously
worked WITH one of the 'one of a kind PD's' again in an
era that WAS creativity. IF I may drop some names... The
LOOP in Chicago-Jesse Bullit, a rare guru who made the
job even more exciting! 95YNF Tampa -Carey Curlop
Fabulous...KQRS am/fm Alan Stone my original Guru. Each
a wizard who brought out the best in you, each a pure
Creative genius, and each hired people that they knew had
their brand of talent....And ALLOWED them to use it. Then
taught you how to use it better.
This era of Corporate 'runnership' knows only the bottom
line. As it was early on it has re-become
again...remember the PD mantra..."Just read the cards!!"
It's all about the spot-load. Why do you think they blew
out those of us who were talented and had designs of
becoming the Scot Muni - Arthur Penhallow etal legendary
Rock Dinosaurs on the air into our 70's??? Because they
could hire a 20 something for $22.5 and boost the profit
margin.
Now, wait, I harbor NO ill feelings for those 20
somethings, it's how I got in! But Now there is not even a
place to grow your chops! There is no Overnight and
some cases No 10-2pm...it's syndicated programming.
Pd's guiding and teaching ?? Where? They area tied up
working with sales to 'create' sales driven contests and
promotions, aiding the reading of ARB's and working the
Budget with management. The consultants became gods,
NO difference in programming for Atlanta or New York.
Although the audience differed by miles, the Industrial
cites were perfect for punk, ska rebellion...the Souther tier
being more laid back toes in the sand, drink in my hand
play me some Skynyrd or SRV. Again, creativity? Lost on
"global" programming.
The non-terrestrial radio...No locality. No one to talk
about YOUR town.

Sorry for the tome, I am not beaaaching, just
remembering the ART of radio. I miss it. Still love it!!

russrussproductions, 9/24/2009 9:04:18 AM
Message #244086
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

More creative

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:53 pm

I have to say (with the exception of one consultant) I've never worked for one of those corporate types. All of the programmers I ever dealt with in 35 years were, to one extent or another, focused on content. I never worked in a "card reader" environment.

Just the opposite when I think about it. Every, single programmer and/or manager that I worked for not only encouraged, but demanded creative content.

I feel very fortunate to have worked alongside the likes of Bob Wood, Paul Drew, Danny Mason, Bill Mayne, RT Simpson, Bobby Guerra, Eric Foxx, Tyler Cox, Rusty Walker, Mike O'Malley, Norm Epstein, Vern Ore, Charlie Ochs, Gary McCartie and many more. These guys differed to some extent in approach, but they all knew and insisted on the kind of content that kept people tuned in.

pbergin, 9/24/2009 10:04:52 AM
Message #244090
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

WINTERWEST

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:54 pm

The other week you had mentioned your love for skiing and it reflected your positve view on life.

It motavated me.

I just got a gig at a resort here in California as a snowboard instructor. So now I can teach AND learn from some great riders in a real family atmosphere. I ll get ASSI certification and will have a bunch of new doors open for me. I am excited, and that is an understatement.

I had not ridden in a few years, going from daily riding to zero riding. After my divorce I moved to an area where there was no snow or mountians for a good 8-12 hours away..'nuff said.

I just wanted to say 'thank you'. Your words motavated and put some things in perspective for me. I been kinda lost on planet earth for a few years, now Im back where I want to be...boarding 24/7 and with a lil PT radio gig in California. This is what happiness feels like? I almost forgot!!!

heypookey, 9/24/2009 11:42:17 AM
Message #244100
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

Russruss

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:54 pm

I think the Truth album came out before Beckola.....you were talking about Jeff Beck, no??

mudcat, 9/24/2009 2:04:13 PM
Message #244107
Thank You
All Access Moderator