Middle of The Road/Non-political Talk

Moderator: pmsimon

kasperson

Middle of The Road/Non-political Talk

Post by kasperson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:18 am

I know an alternative talk format to political talk is Sports. But other than that how can you build a mainly MOR talk station? People put NPR as a liberal radio format as being liberal; that might be so. From looking at programming, much is features like a Mideast human story. NPR generates a lot of #'s with no competition.
Suggestions for MOR syndicated program's?
Thanks,
Lou.

andreas

Re: Middle of The Road/Non-political Talk

Post by andreas » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:34 pm

Hello, My name is Michael and I have a couple of associates who run a successful podcast and an XM Satellite radio show. They are looking to expand to the radio market and would be a wonderful addition to your schedule. Their format is after the lines of Love Line with Adam Carola, but their focus is more on character and charisma development. They have frequent interviews with people who are successful in their field. If you are interested in more information shoot me an email at [email protected]. I can have a demo cut within the week.

psychictiff

Post by psychictiff » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:32 am

I'm always looking for new shows to appear on. I'm a psychic/medium and do TONS of shows around the Midwest from Top 40 to talk. With the paranormal being such a hot topic right now - I can take calls from listeners on whether their house is haunted or hit on pop culture stuff like Lindsey Lohan or Charlie Sheen!

frankb

Post by frankb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:57 pm

NPR may or may not be "Liberal". If you're a conservative talker, they are. Political talks shows on commercial radio engage in what I call Advocacy Politics ("Our side is completely right and their side is out of their minds".) The easiest way to remain Middle of the Road is to avoid politics and talk about restaurants and movies; there are plenty of topics that are not political. If you want to do politics and avoid Advocacy Politics, your host would have to be brighter than the average political host.

dwc151

Post by dwc151 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:12 am

Good old fashioned Hot Talk is non-political, but hardly MOR. I think the cyclical nature of radio is swinging back in that direction again. All of the FMs flipping to talk can't be ESPN affiliates or simulcasts of political talkers. Some of them will do Hot Talk sooner or later.

jimwalsh

Post by jimwalsh » Thu May 24, 2012 2:02 am

Don't call it Hot Talk; call it talk. Stern, et al are the ones talking to the mainstream. It's the Rushclones who are on the fringes...

themorningshot

Post by themorningshot » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:02 am

Is it possible to take a "sports analysis/handicapping/fantasy" talk show from one hour at night to a morning show? Could you add more entertainment? Would a SportsNation type of show translate well on radio and would there be a market for it? I ask all of this because it's where my fiance and I find ourselves right now and neither of us have any broadcast experience prior to my 40th birthday "gift" of a once weekly sports talk show launching last Oct. Long story short, we went from one hour airing once weekly to being offered our own morning show. Going with the "you only live once" line of thinking we said yes. Now we find ourselves trying to "find ourselves". How can we make our show feel like you're at our house with us and our friends watching NFL on Sunday? The best sports talk I've heard has been in my living room with the guys watching games which is also the most entertaining. Is this even possible? Thanks for your help!

dwc151

Post by dwc151 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:14 am

Going from no experience to a morning show in a year? Unlikely. Unless you mean it's at a brokered station, in which case you're going to pay morning drive rates and not be heard by anyone.