Where is the New, Young Talent?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
eastcoastpd

Where is the New, Young Talent?

Post by eastcoastpd » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:42 pm

I just wanted to post some praise for an east coast morning show that I have never seen mentioned here on all access, The Matt and Crank Program. They do morning drive at WZBH, a heritage rock station on the eastern shore (market 141).

The reason I find it appropriate to write this is now is because there has been a lot of talk on local message boards of “where is the new, young talent?’ Here is a question, is anyone looking for new, young talent? These guys exist, has anyone looked for them? I can’t blame their management for keeping them a secret since they would lose them fairly quickly in my opinion.

I read an article recently claiming “young guns like Adam Carolla, Andrew Breitbart and and Pete Dominick-of Rick Sanchez fame” are the next wave. Aren’t they all in their 40’s?

Maybe I’m a little bias because I am from the east coast or a little jilted because my former “programming” job consisted of figuring out which syndicated show I was going to air. But, if radio is going to save itself from the electronic revolution, programmers need to realize that raw, fresh talent is not going to exist if new success stories are not created. The old dogs are going to leave soon. Who will fill the void and who will bring in the youth that doesn’t seem to care about what the radio plays.

Personality has always driven listeners to a station. Isn’t that why everyone fights to have the most famous name pumped out over the airwaves? Well, the most famous names are getting old or have abandoned terrestrial radio. Time to think new, fresh, young.

ejradio

Re: Where is the New, Young Talent?

Post by ejradio » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 pm

New Young Talent is here.......but our packages are sent in with every other 5000 packages for opening we see....There are those of us who still love radio and are still trying our hardest to make it our life long career.....but until we get that one PD who sees the potential in us...we will still keep trucking along.

luther

Post by luther » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:44 am

The new young talent is hanging banners for promotions and answering phones for the morning show...all for FREE. And when an opening does eventually come up, this "new talent" will be rewarded with the gig because "they've paid their dues here." It doesn't really matter that they have literally NO on-air experience. They've been here for two years and everyone likes them around here. Plus, they're cheap. And this is happening in all the major markets.

So when that age-old statement comes up about how much better the major market talent is than smaller markets...Is it REALLY?

kitmann

Post by kitmann » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:45 am

New young talent? I seem to recall that "new young talent" was required to start in small markets, work their way up and fight for their jobs. Small markets used to me the minor leagues for "new young talent"--now I hear more "new young" in major markets--and TALENT in the smaller ones.

Those three words are not mutually inclusive in 90% of the people out there.

koolbreeze6

Post by koolbreeze6 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:41 am

The young talent is out here it's just some PD's have to be willing to look for them, but instead it seems to go with the safe choice and recycle the same talent that is already out there. One question I'd like to ask why aren't there more minorities on the CHR format? I know that there are some but only a hand full and there is certainly alot more that are looking to get there chance but get over looked and deserve a fair shot just like everyone else....But hey that's just my opinion.

ejradio

Post by ejradio » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:52 pm

@Kitmann, I have been working in small unrated markets for 3 years but was laid off in april of last year.....every interview i go into they say the same thing, your great and would be a perfect fit for us but we are going with someone who either has more experience or lives closer. I am doing anything and everything to get back into radio. I LOVE this business, I don't care where I work... large market, small market, unrated market, I don't care, I love radio and I'm happy just to do it...and I know there are a lot more like me out there.

JeffScottShow

Post by JeffScottShow » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:34 pm

ejradio--I feel your pain. I'm a fellow young talent, fired last February. I haven't had an interview since last May, but then I too was passed up for a show that was an old re-tread. I know that when I send my package for an opening that I'm one of a few hundred, but I wish a PD would at least call me and give me a shot. Right now I'm selling jewelry for a living.

@kitmann--I want a small market so I can move up and improve my talent. Unfortunately, the small markets are, for the most part, so syndicated that there aren't many openings. A lot of them have the same local morning guy that's been there for 20 years and isn't going anywhere.
Last edited by JeffScottShow on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitmann

Post by kitmann » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:45 pm

I feel you guys. I really do. And I know that there are tons of people out there that are willing to do whatever it takes...
Unfortunately there are also many many more who aren't all that talented and who feel that they are entitled to just waltz into a MM and do mornings simply because they are YOUNG and willing to undercut a vet and work for peanuts...

Keep it up. The small markets are gonna turn around. I see it happening already. I can see local GMs getting frustrated with syndicated shows who provide NOTHING to their airwaves--nothing other than filling time, that is...

toddtaylor

Post by toddtaylor » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:46 am

kitmann wrote:Small markets used to me the minor leagues for "new young talent"--now I hear more "new young" in major markets--and TALENT in the smaller ones
luther wrote:So when that age-old statement comes up about how much better the major market talent is than smaller markets...Is it REALLY?
Well said, I've long noticed that many of the major market talent is only in a major market because they grew up in that market, not because they worked their way up from market size to market size. Some of the best talent I've heard stays in the small town because that's where they love being, with family and friends. Really, much of the large market staff is not really any more talented than small markets. The notion that bigger market means bigger talent is less true today than before. And big martket talent is taking that talent to places where it still matters--hometown. I've noticed a number of laid-off personalities heading to outlying markets where the salary and cume is smaller, but so is the coporate and syndication and we can still have radio the way is was meant to be.

http://www.betterliveradio.com

jayester

Post by jayester » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:41 am

It used to be land a weekend or overnight shift as your first gig (yes, also be willing to clean the johns too) and you were on your way to a drive time shift with-in usually 3 months. Because in tat amount of time the drive time person found another gig in a bigger paying market. But the truth is, age and experience is really irrelevant. I have witnessed greenhorns who sounded like they should be on the radio and convincing managers the same. Unlike visual mediums, radio is still theater-of-the mind. I also agree with Kitmann,. Small markets, any that remain, will be making a come back by staying local and eliminating syndicated programming. Nothing like reclaiming commercial inventory "lost" to the required agency spot load, eh? Most "mom and pops" probably will voice track but use local talent but some will do it live, Granted, the pay will be minor league but then the cost of living, rate of crime, living expenses would all be lower.