Where is the New, Young Talent?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
Jamito

Re: Where is the New, Young Talent?

Post by Jamito » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:38 am

The young talent is here, but the pay is low, with part time employment and no benefits!!! Radio stations just recycle old talent from other radio stations from the same market. Not giving us young talent a chance to shine. I work in Chicago radio, and I work as a Producer, I fill in for production, and I work as a remote engineer and get 3 different pay scales for all the jobs I do, and I own my own Dj and sound and lighting company and rent my equipment to the dj's at the station and I'm still not getting bumped up to talent. I have 5 years in Chicago Radio and you'd think I would get a shot in a smaller market, but that's not the case some times i feel the $45,000 I spent at Columbia College Chicago was a bad Idea. But, I love what I do.

seantgreen

Post by seantgreen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:43 pm

pbergin wrote:No, it's the future of narrowcasting.

How in the world is anyone going to learn about your show? Through Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and other social media, right? And who are those people? Individuals you have "Friended" through social media, and no-one else.

Don't get me wrong, this is a perfectly legit approach, however I think it works better for bands, and content providers with a very specific audience. "Broadcasting" it aint.

Traditional, terrestrial radio is still the most efficient way to reach a wide and disperse audience. If you want to be a broadcaster, you should probably stick to push-media. Pull-media will always, by it's very nature, be very specific, esoteric and draw a much smaller audience.
I know what you are getting at, but I have to disagree. Look at guys like Marc Maron probably unknown to the masses with no mainstream commercial appeal and now through his podcast he's getting hundreds and thousands of downloads. Additionally most people who download a podcast listen to the entire thing. So instead of having a million people listen to a couple seven minute segments, you have them listening to an entire hour long episode. I accept your definition of broadcasting, but I would say having that many people listen to that much content would qualify as broadcasting. Sure the delivery method is different, but it's content reaching a broad amount of people.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:46 am

Possibly. The closest I've seen to broadcasting in a real sense on the Internet, is this:

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/

radioelizabeth

Post by radioelizabeth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:08 pm

"And where's the audience? Don't be nieve. The audience is going to the internet for news and entertainment The MP3 player and internet gives them insight to new music."

It's naive. Spell check is easy.

And... I'll tell you where the audience is: Terrestrial Radio.

RADAR 2009 showed an increase of 25 million over 2008. RADAR 2010 showed an additional increase of 3.3 million. That's almost 240 million. Or Over 93% of all persons 12+.

RADIO'S REACH PER WEEK:

95% of Adults 18+ making $75,000.
96% of A 25-54 college grads making $50,000.
96% of A 18-49 with a degre

So, while an audience might very well also be utilizing other platforms, they are increasing their uses of this one.

I'd also like to agree with sentiments brought up in this discussion regarding the difference between small or major markets. Great radio is great radio regardless where it is.

chloedillon

Post by chloedillon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:07 pm

I for one know there is fresh new talent hungry to learn everything because I am that person. There are loads of kids in high school, college that have personally reached out to me asking me how they can get their foot in the door in the radio industry. Interning, interning, interning. But how do you get into PROGRAMMING? Make a tape. But then, how do you get a show? There's a glass ceiling effect. Once you secure that show (which is a feat in itself), you NEED guidance, someone to aircheck you, someone not afraid to tell you pros and cons and most importantly, an honest opinion. There are young, energetic, hard working radio believers out there that want to learn everything there is to know about radio; selector for scheduling music, what consultants do and what role they play (how to think LIKE a consultant), audition for production and commercials, and promotions (executing and writing). Yes they will learn strategies to maximize time listening especially with the advent of PPM, how can you NOT know these things, but the problem is finding the experienced talent that is WILLING TO TEACH. A huge problem is getting the opportunity TO learn- finding a PD or a staff that can let go of their ego's and the programming knowledge that they clutch to so tightly, open up, and teach it. Teach these youngster HOW to program, delegate tasks, and take a half hour to aircheck them consistently. If more PD's were to take more time in grooming talent, then maybe more youngsters would pipe up.

jonathon

Post by jonathon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:41 am

The "new young talent" pool is pretty dang sparse...mainly because the "new young talent" has forgotten...or has not learned...the art of "communication". In other words relating to your audience. Making them care about YOU as something other than just noise on the radio. Figure out your audience and their needs...fill that need...give them someone to care about and...bingo!! Too many "new young talent" hear nothing but vapid, mindless drivel on the air that too many times passes for "broadcasting". Before you crack that mike...have a clue!

tigger

Post by tigger » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:03 am

Most of you are asking the wrong question. Not where is the New, Young Talent... The question is who is teaching the young talent? I would count myself in the Young Talent demo. I've been in Radio for 11 years from the time I got my start in High School board oping games and voicing commercials, to today. In that time I've gotten 2 air checks, one got sent off to a "consulting" firm that handles the music for our format. My boss (I'm not going to use titles, they are a little off here) looked it through without listening to the aircheck and just crossed out things they didn't like and handed me the aircheck report. The next session was 5 min long and I learned that I'm not playing enough music and my news is too long, I never heard a word about the content of the show. To be fair I work for an O&O and no one in upper management of our cluster has ever worked an air shift, planned a show, or produced a commercial, so I can't really call them lazy. They just don't have the skills required for any talent development. I count myself in the ranks of "looking for a shot" and I can sympathize with the angry people that make posts on here complaining about being passed over. I got tired of waiting and started to make my own opportunities. The truth is that in the new media market "radio" should only be a part of what we're doing. You need to diversify! I do my own podcast, mostly because I'm looking to get into talk radio, and I can aircheck myself and have more content available for possible employers to get a sense of what they're getting with me. I agree that podcast's are "narrow casting", if you want to call it that, but we shouldn't look at the podcast as an alternative we need to look at it as another weapon in our arsenal. Yes Marc Maron has a successful podcast, but Adam Carolla has a more successful podcast because he build a base on radio and tv first, and that audience followed to the podcast. We have too many people that keep making excuses as to why they didn't get hired or why they are still at the same gig. I love radio, but I don't know if my future is going to lye here. I know that I got into the industry after the "golden age", and I never had any radio gods that I stayed up late to listen to. I got into this industry to be an entertainer, and entertain I will. I don't know if it's going to be in talk radio, a podcast, or doing writing. I'm trying to get into all 3 and spread myself around as far as I can so when a PD is thinking about new talent, i'm the guy they reply to.

caseythehost

Post by caseythehost » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:39 pm

We are out here, but so many of the PDs are 'good 'ol boys' and don't respect our age. Let me give you an example.

For six years, in Las Vegas, my show dominated evening drive in news/talk. My nearest competitor, Michael Savage, had half, HALF, my ratings. We were a perpetual top 5 radio station in the market until we were ordered to change our format from talk to more news by corporate. Naturally, ratings dropped.

Instead of correcting their mistake, corporate fired the PD that plucked the station from obscurity to the top station in town, and brought in a PD that was run out of radio several years before. This is where things get interesting.

The new PD made it clear to my co-host and I that he didn't like our young age (I was 30 at the time, and my female co-host was in her mid-20's. My show was the only talk show in Vegas who was growing under PPM.

He fired us a couple of months after getting there (May 2010), and replaced us with older 'talent' from other dayparts. Talent that had steadily declining ratings since his partner left.

At the time of our firing, our show was still the number one news/talk program in Vegas, we were the fastest growing radio show in the valley, we were bringing in nearly $3 million in advertiser revenue annually, and we were the number 8 overall radio show in our time slot among men. He didn't care about any of that. All he cared about was that we weren't old enough in his eyes. Then he started his public war of words against us (including in Talkers) that we were 'kids' and 'amateurs.' That station plummeted when we left, and hasn't recovered.

The young talent is out there, but the outdated mindset of old school radio is allowing us to be discriminated against. We had a sales meeting when a sales rep said: "We've never seen a talk audience this young before. We don't know what to do." Instead of seeing that as an opportunity, many saw it as a bad thing.

Give us a chance to connect with an audience the old timers can't comprehend, and let us bring radio into the 21st century. You won't be disappointed.

theopionatedone

Post by theopionatedone » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Nothing new is being said here...it's all supply and demand. Very little supply, with extremely high demand, because the human ego always thinks, "I need to be famous", either in front of a camera, or behind the mic. Talent wise...I think we have enough, the premiere talk show hosts, pop music announcers, those positions are filled, and those dinosaurs don't ever go away. What makes anyone think, you're going to step in and grab a spot away from a guy who's a built an audience, not just over the years, but how about 2 and 3 decades (that's 20 to 30 years for the numerically illiterate), eg: Imus, Limbaugh, even the likes of Dr. Laura, who gives rather good advice to some very pathetic and sad females who don't know how to run their own lives.
I can go on, ad nauseum about the difficulties of getting into radio...but the truth is, that it's very difficult now for any radio station, whether they're a corporate monster like Clear Channel, or a 3 or 4 station cluster in nowhere's ville, Nebraska to make a profit, but it is easier for a small company, if the owner is smart. So with a dwindling bottom line, a plethora of talk show hosts that all sound the same, to me...very vanilla, very white, very middle of the road, as if deviating from the norm would cause a group of people to lose their minds, with that being said... It's a shitty business no doubt, I personally got into this worthless endeavor 5 years ago, thinking "it was my calling", what a mistake that was on my part. Go into accounting, or make sure you can operate a computer properly.
Truthfully, we have inept station managers, gen. managers, who generally don't know what they're doing, how do I know this? Ask them to perform the job, they're so adamant about, in hiring, and if they themselves can't do the job, then they should be fired first, then a qualified executive with real leadership skills who has previous experience in announcing, production, and sales, then hire qualified staff. If the only qualification for a radio job was a big mouth, well...that's really not enough.
Good communicators don't get paid by the word, they get paid the quality of the words, and how they affect their listeners. That's radio 101, that's the reality, deal with it.
-The Opinionated One-

theopionatedone

New Young Talent-How about TALENT???!!!!!! LOL

Post by theopionatedone » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:38 pm

I mean, what is the ego fascination with age? LOL
Someone made the stupid comment that broadcasters like Beck, Hannity, were in their 40's, implying that they're old, lol. What? That's old? If that were the case, why would you be stupid enough to get into radio, just to be a board op. till you were 35? I mean, you have to have something to say, to a wide audience, I didn't say white audience, a wide audience... And btw...most PD's, still think in terms of color, race, age...that's why they fail, the PD's that is.
Michael Savage is 70, and he's more entertaining than Rachel 'the ***' Madcow, Hannity, Beck all put together. What does age have to do with it? That's an excuse.
Walter Matthau was hitting 80 when he made grumpy old men, and he was hilarious. It's not about age. IT'S ABOUT TALENT. Period. IT'S ABOUT HAVING SOMETHING TO SAY. Once we remove the stupid executives from radio, then radio can grow, free from the shackles of "demographics", "age"...youj're need to be a white female in her late 20's to work for an urban station, or a crusty white bastard to do smart, opinionated talk radio.
-The Opinionated One-