NAB Sux

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
csnoah98

NAB Sux

Post by csnoah98 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:50 pm

The NAB has named former U.S. Senator GORDON SMITH as its new President and CEO.

Smith is a right-wing nut job from eastern Oregon. This goes to show that the NAB is in the pocklets of the consolidators who are now "too big to fail!"

rowdy, 9/18/2009 8:36:41 AM
Message #243891

csnoah98

Re: NAB Sux

Post by csnoah98 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:58 pm

What a clown Gordon Smith is. During his last U.S.
Senate campaign - when he lost his seat - he literally
ran ads on radio where he pitted one half of his
against the other.

Like clockwork, Gordon Smith used to swing from
conservative to liberal. It went like this:

Running for the Senate: He was a liberal.
Voting in the Senate: He was a conservative.

The man stands for nothing when push comes to shove.
He'll tell you whatever he thinks you want to hear.
Yes, he's perfect for the NAB.

Sheesh.

The5 Www.thisisthebox.com, the5, 9/18/2009 7:15:15 PM, thatguy@thisisthebox.com
Message #243910

csnoah98

Re: NAB Sux

Post by csnoah98 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:58 pm

"This goes to show that the NAB is in the pocklets of the
consolidators..."

Indeed. As I have often said...
The NAB is Not About Broadcasting.
Maybe it once was, but it sure isn't now.

The5 Www.thisisthebox.com, the5, 9/18/2009 7:18:56 PM, thatguy@thisisthebox.com
Message #243911

cuddzu

At The NAB

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:12 pm

On a question about how radio has reduced itself to irrelevance by firing people and damaging the product, DAVID FIELD of Entercom said that radio "is not bare-bone" and that there remains "more innovation than ever," with the industry "winnowing back" less compelling content.

He then took another hit off his crack pipe before heading home to his 16,000 square foot home in a suburban Philadelpha gated community.

rowdy, 9/23/2009 8:13:39 AM
Message #244043
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

At The NAB

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:13 pm

So Lew Dickey is now saying that owners should quit whoring their stations? My gawd, where in Heaven's name has this man been over the past 10 years?!

What a sick joke!

pbergin, 9/23/2009 10:26:34 AM
Message #244055
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

REPLY TO PBERGIN & ROWDY

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:14 pm

Rowdy : Field is obviously just some gasbag who likes to hear himself talk.

PBergin : Dickey's problem is that he's been taken in and led down the garden trail by his latest "Crapola Distributor" : Jan Jeffries !

warpfactor, 9/23/2009 12:27:27 PM, warpfactor46201@hotmail.com
Message #244062
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

Nab Gab & Jab

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:16 pm

Radio..NOT bare bones? More Creative than EVER?
Whew, never had smoke like that before, not the Thai kind
OR the blown up my kiester kind. 94 was the end of
creativity as I recall. Corporate Raiders of the Lost Art.
Had a friend call me a couple of years ago asking for help
with an interview. I tossed him 6 questions and told him
"Not in a row! Sprinkle them in with your questions. He
called back an hour later and said "Man! That was the best
interview in the world! Every time I popped one of yours,
he talked for 5 or 6 minutes! Best 40 minutes ever!" So,
he brings the PD in who says " Great Interview! Cut it
down to 2 1/2 minute and play it in the 5:40 break."
That's creative.
277 OVER Researched to death songs, replace the 20 most
burnt, and start a NEW 6 weeks! That's creative.

Y'know the gen they try to program (sic) Classic Rock to
Bought those ALBUMS and Knew EVERY song on them. I
actually did have a couple of great PD's to whom I said IF
I just "spin the dial" on the CD player and whatever Zep-
Who-Stones-Petty-Floyd etc etc it stopped on and I hit
play...I Guarantee The listeners would Jump out of their
comas and say "WOW I haven't heard that in.......
"Creative? C'mon man.

russrussproductions, 9/23/2009 3:29:16 PM
Message #244068
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

CREATIVE?

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm not a radio basher. I've made my living in the medium for a long time and still am making $$ - granted, a bit less these days, but ...

As I see TV/print/outdoor and other medium stretch and grow, I would love to be part of a station and/or a chain that would take some chances. I bash on John Sebastian is because of his "the most music" crap that seems to dazzle a few execs whenever he needs a gig. It might even work for a book or two because he gets the suckers to spend $$ promoting the station, but it really just squashes creativity. He's just a small player in the overall game. The best radio I think I've done was at 2 major market stations where I was led to the control room and asked to ID at the top of the hour and get news and traffic in ... and that was about it. There were times I messed up or did something more foolish than funny and I wasn't every listener's choice but the numbers were very, very impressive. Both those stations rocked - it wasn't just me but the entire staffs felt liberated and were at the very top of their game. THAT'S what I miss - whether it's AM or FM or podcast or Net or CB.

It's very difficult to be creative when a company has too many chiefs and not enough warriors PLUS you have guys doing the work of 2, 3 or more positions.

RussRuss - your example hit home, man. I would do an on-air bit that I worked on a bunch. Listeners responded, the artist liked it, tons of compliments - and the PD was pissed because I was 2 minutes late into a stop set.

Radio guys were and still are so concerned with the minutiae that the big picture got away from them. Steve Jobs is just the opposite - get a big picture look at the future and the little stuff will fall in place.

waverunner, 9/23/2009 8:43:35 PM
Message #244073
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

CREATIVE?

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm not a radio basher. I've made my living in the medium for a long time and still am making $$ - granted, a bit less these days, but ...

As I see TV/print/outdoor and other medium stretch and grow, I would love to be part of a station and/or a chain that would take some chances. I bash on John Sebastian is because of his "the most music" crap that seems to dazzle a few execs whenever he needs a gig. It might even work for a book or two because he gets the suckers to spend $$ promoting the station, but it really just squashes creativity. He's just a small player in the overall game. The best radio I think I've done was at 2 major market stations where I was led to the control room and asked to ID at the top of the hour and get news and traffic in ... and that was about it. There were times I messed up or did something more foolish than funny and I wasn't every listener's choice but the numbers were very, very impressive. Both those stations rocked - it wasn't just me but the entire staffs felt liberated and were at the very top of their game. THAT'S what I miss - whether it's AM or FM or podcast or Net or CB.

It's very difficult to be creative when a company has too many chiefs and not enough warriors PLUS you have guys doing the work of 2, 3 or more positions.

RussRuss - your example hit home, man. I would do an on-air bit that I worked on a bunch. Listeners responded, the artist liked it, tons of compliments - and the PD was pissed because I was 2 minutes late into a stop set.

Radio guys were and still are so concerned with the minutiae that the big picture got away from them. Steve Jobs is just the opposite - get a big picture look at the future and the little stuff will fall in place.

waverunner, 9/23/2009 8:43:35 PM
Message #244073
Thank You
All Access Moderator

cuddzu

waverunner

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Creative vs non-creative. I recall when I first went to work for CHUM/Toronto... arguably one of the greatest top-40 stations in history.

I'd come from CKLW, the "Big 8", the epitome of the Bill Drake era. Bob Wood, the legendary Program Director, called me in his office and said "Scotty, you do the formatics great, but in order to succeed on this station you have to go beyond the format and become a personality.

I was immediately uncomfortable since I'd believed that the format was king, and that any "personality" was regarded as excess chatter.

He went on to say "I'll help you along, but ultimately you have to become a unique air talent on your own, by discovering who you are, and projecting that on the air. We want you to be a star in this town."

He was true to his word, and I never regarded an on-air position the same again.

pbergin, 9/24/2009 6:15:07 AM
Message #244078
Thank You
All Access Moderator