Radio vs Internet

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
pbergin

Radio vs Internet

Post by pbergin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:05 am

This is an interesting series of articles written by Bryan Farrish regarding the relative roles of traditional radio and the Internet.

While his comments focus on the role of radio in terms of exposure and sales of music, they imply an interesting insight to the relative importance of each in other ways as well

If this has been addressed before, I apologize in advance.

http://musicbizonline.com/?p=499

neqquah

Re: Radio vs Internet

Post by neqquah » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:42 am

Well, I can't speak for other genres of music...but as an avid Hip Hop fan, I can tell you that we've had four major Hip-Hop artists break into the mainstream within the last two years (Drake, B.o.B, Nicki Minaj, and Wiz Khalifa) and have four more artists who are currently on the cusp of mainstream stardom (Big Sean, J. Cole, Big KRIT and Mac Miller) . These artists had pretty big cult followings BEFORE they had their first hit singles, thanks to.......THE INTERNET! They released free albums online and promoted them by releasing music videos on YouTube.
I think it's foolish to completely disregard the internet as a platform that up and coming artists can use to get their music heard. You may not be able to have Top 40 crossover success that way (yet), but you can definitely become very successful within your specific genre of music ( like Jack Johnson, Avenged Sevenfold, Rick Ross, etc...)

fox69

Post by fox69 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:13 am

i have to agree with you...my example would be CHARICE who was a youtube sensation even before her song "PYRAMID" hit the radio airwaves

bockmill

Post by bockmill » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:31 am

Music radio brands in any format can be using their digital assets to expose music or artists that they don't feel ready to broadcast yet. What it takes is a commitment to not let sales and promotion clients set our digital "to-do" lists, but focus on our fans' desires, instead.

Chris Miller
http://ChrisMillerDigital.com

stelak

Post by stelak » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 pm

I like internet most as compared to radio...its the most favorite source to get any kind of information along with entertainment.

onairla

Post by onairla » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:38 am

If you don't have a transmitter behind you, you're NOT a broadcaster.. only a streamer. And most streamers i've heard, smell like steamers! You know, that yam she left in your toilet on her way out the door. In today's Jobs section, some internet sap wants a co-host in LA, Cali. (market 2) Pay = $0. We in radio get paid because we deliver contet in a style that is consistantly entertaining. And we're on the internet too.

jack2smith1988

Post by jack2smith1988 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:22 am

Radio Vs. Internet: Interview with Jeffry-Wynne Prince

SacTV.com "Video of the Day" review by Alex Cosper on April 21, 2012

Is radio still viable after nearly 100 years, or is it becoming a dinosaur that doesn't mix with the modern world? Industry statistics continue to tout that 90-93% of the U.S. population (ages 12 and older) still listen to radio, but it's mostly in the car during drive times. Then when people get home they turn to other platforms for music. This discussion with recording engineer/musician Jeffry Wynne-Prince examines both the pros and cons of radio as well as internet. Jeffry plays guitar for The Kimberly Trip, an innovative storytelling do-it-yourself indie band fronted by his wife Kim. The band just released a new single called "Drama @ the Coffeeshop." His perspective is interesting because the band has made a living without radio airplay, relying on shows and the internet. To date the band has enjoyed over 100,000 downloads of their music.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hollysurly

Post by hollysurly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:28 am

Radio vs internet? As a guy who worked in radio over 20 years, you'd probably think I were a biased defender of radio, but that's not the case. I find that corpoate radio has become dull programming sponsored by corporations that deliver harmful products to society from soft drinks to junk food to auto dealer rip-off artists.Jeffry has a added counterbalanced view, citation that he still listens to radio but abounding times he can't acquisition annihilation listenable on over 30 presets. We both accede that radio is not the aforementioned as its aureate age afore new laws afflicted the face and complete of radio starting in 1996, in which accent was wiped out by nationalism. Corporations, which are advantageous for infrastucture and computer companies, accept accurate to be weaker than the all-embracing bazaar if it comes to radio, apparently because it had become apprenticed by acquisitiveness instead of confined the association like it was declared to do. Overall, the industry's affairs are stagnant.

While radio still represents top alliteration of a abbreviate account of hits that are about not as accepted as music from beforehand decades, the internet offers a added spectrum of customer best but hasn't absolutely developed a clarification arrangement for award the best online music, although sites like Reverbnation and Playlist Research (my added site) are affective in that direction. Radio still sells a lot of music, but acutely not to the amount of beforehand decades. What is the approaching for multi-million dollar radio stations vs. thirty dollar websites? It's still unclear, although we do apperceive the radio biz is crumbling in access while the internet is rapidly growing.

Putting Your phone away & Paying attention to those talking to you? There's an App for that its called "RESPECT"
http://www.pinspire.com.au/salliehayden
http://www.jobsinfo.com.au/resume-preparation

fmantac27

Post by fmantac27 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Hey, onairla....

I'm the sap that you speak of. I found my co-host and we're doing just swell, thanks. Being in the #2 market don't mean squat unless there's a job to be offered. I was offering an opportunity to do something fun for a couple of hours a week. Yes, you're probably too busy making your terrestrial millions to see through the haze of crap coming out of your typing digits, but....yeah.