Aircheck Critique

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
breakingandyman

Aircheck Critique

Post by breakingandyman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:12 pm

Hey guys I'm a young buck looking to take my radio talents full time. I recently graduated with a broadcasting degree, and have been a weekend CHR host for almost a year now. My talents are raw but are getting better daily. As you may have guessed I have sent my materials dozens of places only to get shot down. For my ripe age of 22 my resume is very strong with internships, and a good amount of experience prior to this gig. Here is my aircheck via youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovl1KTZ3DNA. I'm just curious for some input or help! Thank you for your time.

-Krash
http://www.candy95.com/on-air-staff/wee ... ndy/krash/

luther

Re: Aircheck Critique

Post by luther » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:18 am

You sound a lot better than I did when I was 22. Don't let the negatiity on this board get to you. If you want a career in Radio...Go For It. I'm happy you're asking for help and input. That already puts you ahead of the game. Good luck in your career.

breakingandyman

Post by breakingandyman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks! I've definitely worked very hard up to this point, just hoping for that break!

spokesgoddess

Post by spokesgoddess » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:10 am

Sounds great, but I'd take out the part about peeing before sending it to PD's. : ) Listener interaction is good, breaks where you have something funny or creative that you've come up with on your own are always good to include. You have a nice delivery, smooth and a little fast (I do that, too) but it flows well with the music you're playing. Just keep airchecking yourself, asking for help from anyone and everyone and you'll get there. You might even try finding a mentor. And don't take too much of what you read on these boards to heart, I think some people just like stirring the pot.

Radio1240

Post by Radio1240 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:46 pm

Take the pee stuff OUT!! I would't be doing that bit anyway...it's LOW...you don't sound like a pro doing that stuff...talk too fast..I can't understand what you're saying...and I don't hear the call letters...get current....who are you talking to..who's your audience?? sounds like teens........ slow down, relax! keep airchecking.....oh..one more thing...do the Call Letters and S L O W D O W N...... you want people to know what and who they're listening to...it's easy to get an ego quick!!..good luck!..and slow down! :-)

breakingandyman

Post by breakingandyman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks!! I'll go ahead and substitute another phoner for the ending, it won't be too much trouble.

Beef_Stew

Post by Beef_Stew » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:47 pm

no one is chasing you. slow down and breathe. slowing down doesn't mean boring. it means getting control of the "thought groups" and phrases. it means having fun talking. slowing down will also lower the timber of your voice. mic breaks shouldn't contain too many elements, and shouldn't ramble. know how to get in and when to get out. depending on the format and the clock they've got you on, most commercial station mic breaks can have three/four/five of any of the following elements; back sell, topic, phoner, news/weather, liner, pre sell. do call letters at least twice, once in and once out. and maybe once inside as well. good luck to you.

breakingandyman

Post by breakingandyman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Hey guys I appreciate all the honest help so far! My energy is one of my biggest strengths and I'm trying my best to work on my speed/pacing to make myself as smooth as possible. This is my newest version of my aircheck I have been going with. I believe it will be a much better product than before, feel free to let me know what you think. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/DVzdGnazB-0