How Radio Will Survive!

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
djhitman2

How Radio Will Survive!

Post by djhitman2 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:22 pm

So you ask how can radio survive? Well I will tell you. I work as a radio jock for the US Army in Germany. I work for AFN Heidelberg which serves Heidelberg, Mannheim and Stuttgart. When I took over the morning show I asked people do you listen to the show and what would you change. Many said they don't and the reason was we don't talk about Stuttgart. You see its an hour away from the station and so many DJ's didn't really care about it. So when I took over I got Stuttgart more involved with the show. When I did Stuttgart listenership grew by 500,000. So I have learned that local means listeners. I can get in my 2010 Mustang and I can just hit a button and pull up my favorite artist. I don't need radio. But then again there is traffic, weather and whats going on. I feel what is going to take radio into the future is local, local, local! I want to hear whats going on in my town ever week, not what is going on in LA or New York. When a Radio Jock tells a story about a local business or club I can relate. I don't care whats going on at Scores in New York (aka Howard Stern) I want to know whats going on at my local club. I am telling you people local is what is going to keep radio strong not national. Companies need to realize give the people what they want local radio! If you do it the listeners will come!

tstone

Re: How Radio Will Survive!

Post by tstone » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:13 am

Brother, too right. Live, local, intimate, immediate, the things that radio can do in combo unlike any other medium. These are how radio will regain and stay relevant. The captains of industry who believed these things were no longer important are the ones who almost drove radio to cultural irrelevancy.

BTW, was in your stomping grounds and on your airwaves from 2004-2009 and hope to return before I retire from the Army and go back to civilian radio.

Keep on rockin'!

Stoney

upton12

Post by upton12 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:54 am

As long as the powers that be don't share that centiment,, radio will continue in it's cookie cutter format and staying irrelevant to it's local communities.

tstone

Post by tstone » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:44 am

But one way or another, those guys are on the way out. IMO, the national chains that rely on radio primarily or solely will be out of the business and the industry will devolve back to local and regional owers. Not completely, but the "national branding" stuff has clearly proven to be a failure.

In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that radio on air gigs will become something of a buyer's market, as there will be more people offering openings than there will be talent prepared to fill them, thanks to the near elimination of the farm system. But that's what the radio owners will need to offer what is unique to radio. Those of us who can deliver it.

Those of us still in, or wanting to get back in, will have a pretty good time of it.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:17 am

I agree 100% I'm hearing a LOT of innovative stuff on the air in smaller markets. A lot of it from former major market players who were tossed out on their asses from CC, Citadel, Cumulus etc. a few years back, and wound up in small town radio. They're just waiting for the right moment to get back in.

In the meanwhile, those major market stations that held on to their signature talent, or hired pros who'd been cut loose elsewhere, seem to be doing great.

It's a matter of time.

ionatrailer

Post by ionatrailer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:20 am

Get out into the hinterland. Des Moines. Boise. Any of the Townsquare markets. Fargo. There is still amazing stuff being done.