Occupy the FCC?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
tvguy2

Occupy the FCC?

Post by tvguy2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:45 am

Just a thought for the recently (and not-so-recently) laid off who can't make a living.

Sure, I occasionally fire off an email at the FCC letting them know that their "exclusive focus" on broadband and other "new goodies" is probably more of a death knell for legacy media. Commissioner Copps pays attention. The others? Not at all.

Genachowski is completely in the back pocket of all the wireless companies, and could give a rat's ass about traditional radio and TV, no matter how many millions of people the "legacy media" reach every week. I'm convinced that all he wants is as much spectrum as he can gobble for "newfangled" goodies.

And, yes, "newfangled goodies" are probably the wave of the future. But not now. Not when traditional radio and TV still has a huge hold on the population. In fifty or 100 years, maybe, but do we need an FCC that's "ahead of its time" so far that they are unable to truly monitor the here and now?

"Occupiers" at the FCC could demand a bunch. How about surprise inspections at every Clear Channel and Cumulus property? How about demanding a governmental reclaim and reissue of bankrupt companies' licenses? How about an actual acknowledgment of the GOOD that local radio and TV still tries to do, every day, from the FCC?

Greg Walden (R-OR) is now asking for a hearing on the abysmal national EAS test. Good. It's a start. But if you really want to make Genachowski crap his pants (and you should), maybe a trip to Washington to sit in the lobby at the FCC (445 12th St. SW, Washington, DC) would probably "move the needles" a whole lot faster...

luther

Re: Occupy the FCC?

Post by luther » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:56 am

I agree with your post.

I would love to go to Washington and voice my concern. But I can't afford to put gas in my car.

tvguy2

Post by tvguy2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 am

Well, if the FCC's gonna put all of its marbles in the broadband basket, an e-occupy might accomplish the same thing. Some DOS attacks and overloaded email accounts might wake a few people up.

soundhound

Post by soundhound » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:41 pm

Problem is, broadcasters that have behaved badly are supported by the Republican trickle-down tea party crowd, same crowd those broadcasters cater to in 99 percent of their talk shows, and even programming on their country and classic rock stations. They have friends in high places, and largely on the right.