Laugh or Cry?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
ibizamitch

Re: Laugh or Cry?

Post by ibizamitch » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:09 pm

Agreed. They should have a little more respect for themselves and the boards they are posting on. I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures.

adam_bomb

Post by adam_bomb » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:10 pm

The sad part is that some folks are really having a tough time both in and out of the biz. I have a few buds who are just crazed that they can't get a job right now.

If you have a job be happy -- think of those without, especially now around the holidays.

spearman

Post by spearman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:44 pm

Nice thought Adam. There will be more tears than laughter if radio DOESN'T start paying attention to other things besides the BOTTOM LINE. Not to date myself BUT when 8 tracks came out people were saying "that's it for radio" (or so I heard) and what happened....radio prevailed BUT that was when it was unpredictable and most everyone had personality! With all of the avenues of entertainment, radio HAS to step up to the plate and bring back the magic...it's the only bullet it has left!

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:53 am

At the risk of sounding like a complete asshole I nonetheless feel compelled to open my big mouth, and incur the wrath of the Forum Gods in the process.

I've listened to some airchecks from folks... many with enormous levels of experience... and, quite frankly, I'm not impressed. One guy (with a great resume) posted stuff on his website that wouldn't get him hired as a specials announcer at Walmart. Break after break of nothing but basics. If I were looking for a radio job right now I'd put content up there, formatics be damned! I realize that many stations are looking for slogan readers, but I don't want to work there anyway. Do what the other guy aint. Set yourself apart. You'll certainly put yourself out of the running for marginal positions, but so what? How long would you likely last there anyway. Go for the good ones, and let the other stuff slide. One way or another only put your GOOD stuff out there.

I have a friend who was blown out of a gig a few months back.. He came back here, and within a few days was working again, albeit part time, at several jobs. He's doing just fine. I've been approached quite a few times about going back on the air. I can't do it now because the money isn't right, but who knows? I might reconsider up the road. I think we may be seeing the signs (faint as they may be) of a light at the end of the tunnel.

This is no time to be over cautious if you're a talent looking for a gig. You gotta get your best stuff out there!

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:49 am

You big dummy. No one is hiring people with airchecks full of personality. Where have u been? Some people obviously have no experience in trying to get a personality gig.

kellybgood

Post by kellybgood » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:48 am

I've always heard the phrase: "Its all who you know!" of course this holds true in any industry. BUT you aren't going to hire anyone that isn't going to have that brand that your station is looking for. I agree with putting your whole personality on the aircheck! Be unique and creative! That is what this industry was built upon.

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:34 am

Sure, except radio isn't looking for personality anymore. Know your audience. The "audience" of radio execs. aren't looking for personality, they are looking for cheap labor who will press buttons, make sure the station stays on the air and keep their mouths shut.

coldautumn

Post by coldautumn » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:42 pm

Times are tough, and sadly mostly anyone will do anything for a job or a chance at the spotlight.
Dentist Brandon | Dental Brandon

Jala

Post by Jala » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:32 pm

jjackass said: "Sure, except radio isn't looking for personality anymore. Know your audience. The "audience" of radio execs. aren't looking for personality, they are looking for cheap labor who will press buttons, make sure the station stays on the air and keep their mouths shut./"

You are a bitter old twit. If personality is banned, why have anyone in the studio at all? USUALLY it's the nay saying, talentless, bitter old hacks like you who spurt such crap. Those with no game try to level the action by negating the fact that people will actually listen to great content. I bet you can't deliver shit! So many people I have met who are just like you while existing in MANAGEMENT. They don't want the balance of power tipping so they depress any talent left. One boob of a boss would allow no one to make more money than him - NOT EVEN THE MORNING SHOW!! Guess what? The morning show left!! Depress creativity = keep control. It doesn't need to be this way and in many places it's not.

And you no longer need a human to simply "keep the station on the air". What's your fucking point??

Who allowed you out of the closet. Get back in there!

tstone

Post by tstone » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:37 am

"You are a bitter old twit. If personality is banned, why have anyone in the studio at all?"

Jala, you are so clueless with that comment, it's almost cute. THAT is EXACTLY the situation in many radio stations nowadays, one of the many reasons so much of what you hear in many cities sucks so bad, and one of the many, many reasons radio is struggling.

And many of those who are in studios, they gotta keep it "light, tight, bright", time, temp, liner card, song title and artist.

And then, in your post, you continue to berate the guy even though you seem to be confirming his point (about oppressive management).

Jala, you are living proof that the internet has no IQ check at the gate.