Turkey Day At The Station

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
tuneguru84

Turkey Day At The Station

Post by tuneguru84 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Thanksgiving, when you are single and in radio is always interesting.

I recall as a baby DJ -- old school in the 70s -- working extra shifts on Thanksgiving so that the fulltimers could enjoy the day with the family -- translation: the PD and the MD wanted off.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the smell of KFC in the control room (no voicetracking back then ... it was you and the hitline groupies on the phone for company) -- today it's Boston Market or a local food store with pre-prepared stuff. And if you were lucky and the PD and his wife liked you (sadly back then the concept of a female PD was like WFT?), you maybe got some leftovers too.

Love radio -- and that's a great part of what it's about.

A very Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

tstone

Re: Turkey Day At The Station

Post by tstone » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:41 pm

Ah, memories...this also applies to Christmas...

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:02 am

At my very first radio job (KCJB, Minot) being a part-timer, I was the board monkey on T-Giving. I remember how lonely it was in the studio, all by myself, starving my ass off when... lo and behold... who should come stomping in the door but the PD (Verly Aamodt aka Johnny Bridges), and the station manager (Chet Reiten maybe?) loaded down with turkey, dressing, veggies and all the trimmings. They gave me enough to feed half the barracks (I was in the AF at the time) and a 6 pack of beer to boot.

Since then I was the lone soul at the station for many Thanksgivings until my career began to take off, and not once did anyone show that level of kindness again.

So to Verly, Chet and the old KCJB crew wherever you may be, thanks from a former part-time jock and full-time flyboy!

:D

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:23 am

Hey, let's try this just for grins...

Catholic
Protestant
Baptist

...let's see if it posts.

In the meantime, Hall, you should know in this politically correct world you're not allowed to say what people are, only what they are not. ("Non-Gentile"?)

robnokshus

Post by robnokshus » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:45 am

try putting an"ish" on there Hall.