Radio's not so bad.. the game has just changed..

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
champoux

Re: Radio's not so bad.. the game has just changed..

Post by champoux » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Radio is not the "tribal drum" anymore, true, but if it is such a weak medium it would have died 10 or 15 years ago. Yes to deeper cuts - but also 'play the hits'. Yes to rising bands - but showcase them. Yes to show prep, but relate it to the listener and make it personal. Local is key, and there is no way possible to make that happen with someone not living there. Oh, and VT's are fine - but be sure someone's there to answer the phone (hearing screams of laughter from programmers young and old here).
dm.quackerbacker@gmail.com

kayburton89

Post by kayburton89 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 am

I think radio is more for traveling in a car or a bus. For the home, there are other ways to listen to music. Although it depends on the goal and the mood. If you do business in the yard, you take out the receiver and listen to music in the fresh air.

iamda

Post by iamda » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:39 pm

Maybe if iHeart would take a look at some of the seven figure salaries it gives executives and some of the seven figure and upper six figure salaries it gives select air talent and start slashing a bit here and there on those maybe some local jock who's making $30,000 a year could keep their job. I guarantee some of those desk jockeys in New York and some of their syndicated talent would miss 30 grand a whole lot less than the guy who is now in the soup line.....but then that would REALLY be a painful and difficult choice for the brass to make and not just words they type to not seem like total heartless and out of touch morons. And for the record I am not a bitter ex-iHeart employee. I can just do simple math.

kayburton89

Post by kayburton89 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:07 am

All this sounds good, but do you understand that it is extremely difficult to go against the existing system? Including in matters of financing, income distribution, etc.

nice_shot_man

Post by nice_shot_man » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:18 pm

I can't believe people are still using the argument of "Voice Tracking does not equal compelling radio"

tstone

Post by tstone » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:47 pm

Well...it is not better than live, live radio is where it is at. But like all tools, it has its place. Currently in the biz, I use both. Still love it, too.

Hey guys, been awhile, hope you are holding up, moving past this past year that was...

mlaura1224

Post by mlaura1224 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:50 am

I agree with some of the post's made on this site. (Only my opinion based on observation.) The digital age is here to stay. The listener NOW has more content to choose from than in the past (Talking before internet, smart phones, and all the digital social media platforms that people can choose.) The biggest complaint I hear from young people is this: "A lot of the terrestrial stations I listen to sometimes play the same few songs over and over again. Not to mention there is nothing on the air that is entertaining. The announcer sounds very scripted and annoying." That comment along should speak volumes. It is obvious that terrestrial radio should look back just to see what worked. In some cases try to think out of the box a little bit. Take a chance to create great radio. Let's face it, content is king! Local radio can be fun and exciting, maybe it just need's to be a little bit more adventurous in some areas of it's programming decisions. The Digital side of media is here to stay. Consultants do help give a station direction (In some instances), but it is the end user (Listener) that can make or break a format (Or station). Unfortunately I would love to comment more on this subject, but I would take up a lot of space. :) Thanks for reading.

anthony01

Post by anthony01 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:28 am

I think it's more accurate

cuddzu

Post by cuddzu » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:15 am

LOCAL is now in the palm of your hand.