Jobs

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
sburke

Jobs

Post by sburke » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:26 am

Is it just me, or all the jobs just P/T, or grunt positions? Even Cox Jax said in their ad..part time...no need for experience in radio, not even a college degree...come join the minimum wage, no bennies world of the Romney- Ryan future!

danno

Re: Jobs

Post by danno » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 pm

maybe you've been asleep for the past 4 years, you're living in the obama economy, and this has NOTHING to do with romney or ryan. but i'm happy you brought this topic up, i just read and have seen business owners saying that due to the the mandate to buy obamacare health care insurance MANY employers WILL BE trimming their staffs and GOING to part-Time employees IF obamacare is NOT repealed, and many are starting to shift to part time now, which would be easy for the radio industry to do with voice tracking and pc automation. don't want to get political but you started it,if you want MORE of this, obama is your guy.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Come on.

Stations hiring PT isn't a new thing. It's not even a recent thing. It's definitely not a Mitt or Obama thing.

Maybe nobody got the memo, but radio works in 4 hour a day shifts. So unless you're working in a station with heavy production needs (and no production staff) or doing double duty as a PD/APD/Promotions/Sales/Engineering person, 40 hours a week just aren't there in vast quantity across the radio landscape.

Not an Obama thing, not a Democrat vs. Republican thing.

Are there companies out there that don't want to hire full time employees because they don't want to be required to provide health insurance? Absolutely.

Fast food chains, Wal-Mart, lots of national companies, and yes.. radio stations have adopted that stance for years.. long before Obama, and definitely before "ObamaCare" entered the popular vernacular.

danno

Post by danno » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Yes, business has hired part time workers for years, But what i have seen reported by companies like CocaCola, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Wal-Mart, and several others Actually Mentions Obamacare and the Mandate to buy health Care Insurance along with some 20 New taxes associated with it, as the Reason for moving their workforce to Part-Time employees to escape the costs of doing Business in an already bad economy, that will no doubt be made worse by taxes going up for business, along with a tax hike for everyone else in january, it is being referred to as Taxageddon. all i can say is, it will not be good for workers or business, unless it is stopped. i see business owners every day and they are scared to death for their business and you might be surprized, for the impact it will have on workers and the future of the country.

ison

Post by ison » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:28 pm

The dog next door keeps barking all night. Damn You Obama!

danno

Post by danno » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:13 am

ison wrote:The dog next door keeps barking all night. Damn You Obama!
The Dog Stopped Barking.... Obama Ate it...

sburke

Post by sburke » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:13 am

Why does anyone want someone to go broke because they get sick?

danno

Post by danno » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:57 am

sburke wrote:Why does anyone want someone to go broke because they get sick?
Thats why they Invented Healh Care Insurance, and its been availible for years, Buy Some, and right now everyone has a Choice to buy it or not. but in 2014 you or your employer will be Told to Purchase health Care Insurance, called obamacare, and it won't be Cheap and the prices will Soar, in fact it will be an extra $3000-$4000 in costs for you and your family a year, so it won't be Free either even if your employer pays "Part of it". and as far as your employer, it will be an enormous Cost to them, plus the 20 new Taxes that will imposed, you think that might impact Jobs? ahhh, Ya! you think its bad now,you'll see. and, there will be no new doctors to handle More patients, so if you're sick you will have longer to wait, and a board of unelected bureaucrats will decide what treatment you get and when you will get it, IF at all. the Economy drove me out of the radio business 3 years ago, and i am IN this field now, i know what is comming, read up on this, don't rely on politicians BS. if you ever hated health care insurance, you're Really gonna hate what is comming. i Guarantee it.

halltalk

Post by halltalk » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:36 pm

I support universal health care. It doesn't matter what you call it - Obamacare/Romneycare - it just matters that it gets done. When they mega-zillionaire guy who owns Papa Johns Pizza whines that the ACA will raise pizza prices by 11 cents, we see what we're dealing with. Business owners NEVER want to pay one cent more than legally needed. If that means you go without health care, so be it. Paying for health care will not break America. Paying TRILLIONS for unneeded wars might.

Hiring part-timers to avoid paying for benefits is nothing new and has been going on for literally decades. Maybe 20 years back I recall the news of a K-Mart in a market I was working burning down. The news article said something like 140 jobs will be affected - 30 of them full-time. Just ask anyone who works retail or service jobs and they'll have stories of managers contorting schedules to make sure the employees never hit 40 hrs a week.

danno

Post by danno » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:35 pm

halltalk wrote:I support universal health care. It doesn't matter what you call it - Obamacare/Romneycare - it just matters that it gets done. When they mega-zillionaire guy who owns Papa Johns Pizza whines that the ACA will raise pizza prices by 11 cents, we see what we're dealing with. Business owners NEVER want to pay one cent more than legally needed. If that means you go without health care, so be it. Paying for health care will not break America. Paying TRILLIONS for unneeded wars might.

Hiring part-timers to avoid paying for benefits is nothing new and has been going on for literally decades. Maybe 20 years back I recall the news of a K-Mart in a market I was working burning down. The news article said something like 140 jobs will be affected - 30 of them full-time. Just ask anyone who works retail or service jobs and they'll have stories of managers contorting schedules to make sure the employees never hit 40 hrs a week.
I'm sure YOU don't pay a penney more than you need to either, how much more did you pay on your income taxes than you legally had to?????? by the way YOU don't have to go WITHOUT HEALTH CARE, buy some! its a Bargain compared to what it will be when obamacare is up in running in about a year. right now its up to you, but in 2014 you will NOT have a Choice, do you have an extra $500 or $1000 a month to spend on YOUR mandated health care? but chances are you already work for an business owner who provides it already, many do, problem is obamacare is RAISING PRICES big time and there is a MANDATE to buy it plus 20 New Taxes associated added on and January 1st 2013 all taxes are going UP for everybody who pays them. Jobs will be lost adding to the 23 million out of work already, & the Government is broke, WHAT COULD GO WRONG HERE??? they've already revised UPWARDS several times how much this is going to cost after they rammed it through, fact is they don't REALLY KNOW!, so the sky is the limit and YOU and your children will pay for it. someday when you see how this works you will know what many already know obamacare, has nothing to do with healthcare...its all about control of peoples lives. IF you need a large Central Government to tell you where and when to take a shit, this is for you. all i can say is Be careful WHAT you wish for....