Working for Free? Really? Actual job postings...

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jace

Working for Free? Really? Actual job postings...

Post by jace » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:31 pm

I can not understand how someone can advertise a job that pays nothing. In this economy, in this situation where jobs have been lost in broadcasting by the thousands, I am at a loss. Many of us have worked hard honing our craft only to have management and their all knowing business degrees ruin a medium that has been built on the backs of the creative. I am completely disgusted. Shame on all those who post looking for free labor. If you want free, talk to the local colleges in your area. Don't ask veterans of an industry to give up their skill for your success. There are some extremely talented people who look at these boards daily and to see such postings that place no value on our skill does not compute. Am I alone on this or are there others who agree?

maxwulf

Re: Working for Free? Really? Actual job postings...

Post by maxwulf » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:36 pm

You notice that they never advertise for sales people to work for free!

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:28 am

The industry has come to this, it's true. Is it really so surprising that management, in difficult financial times, would play the work for free card? Radio management has always been contemptuous, if not outright hostile of the programming side. "Jocks!!! A bunch of juvenile, insecure, utterly expendable human meat!!" If they didn't actually say it, you knew that they most certainly believed it.

In an industry where the chair you sit on is worth more to your employer than you are, what would you expect?

This is only the latest phase in the complete devaluation of the profession of "air talent." As far as they're concerned, you bring nothing of value to the table, so they'll pay what the job is worth to them. A sales rep brings cash in the door today, an air staff represents an investment in programming which might or might not increase the stations bottom line in the future.

No contest.

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:43 pm

It's friggin sickening to see three ads in the JOBS section within 2 days of each other looking for free talent. One of those is that dumb ass woody nelson who is always trying to get people to work for free- like "interns" for engineering hahaha - what a great "opp" to work for a company that can't pay me hahaha. How many other professions ask for someone to work for free?

p.s. woody; if you really want to know how to build a radio station rather than "play radio" on the internet, hit me up! hahahaha we all know how that WSBX situation turned out so we know you don't know how to do REAL radio, bwahhahahaha.

jastar102

Post by jastar102 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:22 pm

It is sickening. I hope nobody responds to those ads.

teckstuff

Post by teckstuff » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:51 pm

If you think that's bad, I've actually had stations call...wanting to run my show for free! I guess they figure since it's podcasted, they can just download it and run it on their station! I already do the show for free, so they figure they can run it for free too (and no doubt run commercials during the show). I was actually surprised the first time it happened. It's happened several times since. Look! I don't think I'm some huge talent, but why not throw me a little cabbage for running the show!

As you have said, management ONLY cares about the bottom line. Until the bean counters GET radio, their revenue "problem" is not going to change.

TheMaxPower

Post by TheMaxPower » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:04 pm

I agree. What is all this work for free bullshit. There is an ad for a Female V/O with no pay, but according to them "Looks Good On A Resume'". Why Don't I just get a boom box and do talk ups over music intros on a street corner in L.A. Don't pay nothing but I could say I did a radio show in LA on my resume'. This industry is screwed totally with morons who run these ads and even more so if someone responds and does it Free.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:01 am

techstuff

"Working for free" and having a station run your show for free are two totally different things. The station on which my show runs does not pay for it. That's great for them because they get programming for free that hour. However, because I own the show, I control who my sponsors are and what they pay for sponsorship of the show. As part of my agreement with the station, they're required to promote my show throughout the week and each of those promos generate revenue, as well. The stations listeners are now your listeners and those ears are ears that you can count when you go to your sponsors for money. They also show up at your events and support your show which, again, can translate into money in your pocket if you're reading your demo and market correctly..

Think long and hard before you blow off an opportunity to air your show via broadcast. It's worth plenty if you know how to market it.

teckstuff

Post by teckstuff » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:18 am

So let me get this right. You do ALL the work to sell advertising for your show, PLUS produce and host your show? I thought that's what syndicators are for. I know the big money is in being syndated naitonwide. The network has staff that takes care of the sales and engineering, then it's your job to produce a great show. I'm sure doing everything is great, but you're going to starve at first. I have too many responsibilities to do that. If I didn't, I would just podcast every day.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Good point, teckstuff. I guess I should clarify that I only do one show per week and have no interest in doing more in my "semi-retirement"! My show is also a little different in that I focus only on things I want to talk about; food, travel, and entertainment. That way, my sponsorship pool is very narrow. At the same time, because my show is so focused they're very motivated to be a part of the show. (Buck knives just finished up another run at THEIR request)

As far as trusting syndicators or producers to do the work on my show or control my career. Thank you, no. If you just want to churn out a non-relevant show on as many stations as possible it will be no better than what's out there now. Again, no thanks. My show is relevant to my geography, but that's just what works for me.