What's happening and what should we do about it?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jeepfrag10

What's happening and what should we do about it?

Post by jeepfrag10 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:07 pm

It has come to my attention that everyone who is posting jobs either to voice track or work for free in this industry has completely lost respect for the talents craft. Why is this happening? It's all over the country, and what can we do about it?

Someone, anyone, please.

pbergin

Re: What's happening and what should we do about it?

Post by pbergin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:40 am

One thing you can do is wait it out. At some point the pendulum will swing back, and some talent will find themselves back in the driver's seat. Once the consolidators have gone belly up, and new ownership... owners who value talented people rather than harbor contempt toward them... come into the industry, there will most likely be a huge change.

The other thing is to do what I've been advocating for a long, long time. Find something else you do well, and learn to make a living with it. At worst you could find an alternative to radio during an "on the beach" phase. At best you might find a new career path which will reward you far better than radio.

jace

Post by jace » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:08 am

win the lottery and buy back the station that fired you. the rest will fall into place...

jeepfrag10

Post by jeepfrag10 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:29 am

I don't think I said anything about being fired or not working in the industry; however winning the lottery does sound good. I'll think about doing that. I can't leave the industry now I'm too far in. I'm just complaining about the current situation for all talent. I do agree that one day the pendulum will swing back, because creative talent knows better than to take crap from the ignorant suits.

Allow me to vent.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:10 am

"I can't leave the industry now I'm too far in."

Careful there, Jeepfrag! You CAN "get out" quite easily! (especially with a little help from a corporate beancounter!)

That more than anything is why you should prepare to be out of work in radio. If only "for now".

TheMaxPower

Post by TheMaxPower » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Winterwest has always been the deep thinker. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything WE as Air talent can do. Maybe if those who listen to radio demand their DJ's be Live, Local, and Interesting then the corporate faceless entities may have to respond to their wishes. But are there many people left listening to radio who care for the DJ?? Have they been taught over the last couple of decades that DJs and their talk is a bad thing and only interferes with the music? One can only hope you can find an Oasis of a station in a smaller Market that is owned by a one time Air Talent who wishes to have his station staffed with real live people. It all seems to be a fading dream that is a real living nightmare. Happy New Decade WinterWest! we always have past memories to get us through. Except those where Clowns were involved!

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:10 pm

Gee Max, I've been called a lot of things, but "Deep Thinker"?

I don't think you're far off, nor do I believe that it will be as far in to the future as many think. Look at how many of the real estate investors that thought they were broadcasters are shedding stations. Some of them will have to be bought by real broadcasters who not only know how to program, but know how to market what they're programming to those who may have forgotten about radio and what it can bring to a community.

The really embarrasing thing for these idiots that couldn't figure it out will be to see how doing real, creative, live, local radio can generate far more revenue than the crap they were churning out on the cheap.

I hope you'll be around to hoist a shot of good bourbon and toast their demise...

spearman

Post by spearman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm

As long as corporations are running the show...forget about it. They are ALL about the BOTTOM line and don't want to pay talent, unless your name is Ryan Seacrest or a handful of others. Now the PPM is putting the killer grip on talent because PD's are reading it all wrong. They are associating all talk as BAD talk. People don't like commercials (talk) they don't like long winded promos and they certainly don't like to hear talent that couldn't entertain a group of 1st graders! When I think of great radio stations of the past I always think of the great talent and the great promotions that they did. Kids will NEVER remember stations of today because the talent (for the most part) is not memorable and stations have no soul. It's all about the SOUL baby!

spearman

Post by spearman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:17 am

B.T.W. Didn't want to sound like a total Ahole in earlier post about newbies in big places in the biz that may have the talent but not yet the experience. They are just taking gigs offered to them, but geez isn't there a bunch of talented peeps on the beach?