A plea to the radio Gods for a word of advice...

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
origgle

A plea to the radio Gods for a word of advice...

Post by origgle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:23 pm

Dear radio friends,

I've been following the forum here for about three months and I've read an number different opinions and perspectives regarding the future direction of radio.Some people seem to think that radio is pretty much dead. Some seem to think that it's more a matter of there being a need for revolution in the industry, and the industry's management in order for radio to be as appealing and engaging as it once was. While I certainly don't think it's dead, I think there is a great need to get many of those who make the decisions as to what goes on the air (whether it be talent or music) OUT of those positions.

As some of us know, much of what is going on in radio is downright discouraging; especially for hopeful, aspiring, young talent. I'm one of the unfortunate many who counts himself as one of those.

My associates and I have been working on a radio show/podcast called The Director's Cut for five years now, hoping to reach as many people as possible. We started off on a small, local radio station in Albuquerque (106.3 Talk FM), but when the station flipped we continued to do the show as a podcast and provided it to a number of terrestrial sticks across the US. We pride ourselves on the fact that although we haven't any actual financial or logistical support to speak of, we continue to grow. It's basically a two hour radio show about movies with a morning show feel. We do our own bits, our own promotions, our own clocks; we do the whole nine yards.

Why am I mentioning it?

I bring it up because I'm wondering if any one of the numerous radio veterans on this forum would be able to offer a word of advice as far as what to do next.... or even if it's worth trying. We fight for the show because it's different from everything else on the radio. We record, produce, and distribute our show to more than a dozen radio stations in the US, without pay, because we love doing it.

We would like to think of ourselves as the possible future of radio, but it's hard to do so without a little grooming from the veterans who are looking for someone to pass the torch to... which brings me to my point.

Radio isn't going to die, but it is going to change. Does anyone have any advice as to how a group of hope-to-be's can stick around long enough to make their hard work and passion for radio pay off?

BTW: If you're curious about the show, feel free to check it out at http://www.thedirectorscutradio.com (we've also archived the last five years of our work) and write me at Ollie@thedirectorscutradio.com with questions or comments.

Best wishes to all,

ORiggle

pbergin

Re: A plea to the radio Gods for a word of advice...

Post by pbergin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:27 am

Great show. It would probably work better in an abbreviated form for some stations. Sounds like something that could easily fit in a short segment, either live or via ISDN, for existing morning shows. Syndicated I suppose.

Problem is, it sounds like a great sports show, only it's about movies. Movies don't have anything near the cache and reach that sports does. I don't think the audience is there for the longer show

kendallweaver

Re: A plea to the radio Gods for a word of advice...

Post by kendallweaver » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 am

I have to point out.. the Movie industry has PLENTY of interest, (Made more money last year than ever before) so I don't think that's an issue. But 2 hours IS long for radio. The important thing is that if you're on a dozen stations, you should be able to get ad support. If each of those stations charges even $10 average per spot, you have a $120 a spot product. With 10 spots an hour... you see how it could work. Of course advertisers expect big discounts when buying this kind of show. But it might be worth talking to your affiliate stations Sales Managers about representing your show as a sales force. Not easy, but you have a good start... remember, when Broadcast Programming bought Delilah, she was only on a dozen stations... :-)