The end is near....

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
thelegend

The end is near....

Post by thelegend » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:20 am

I was reading a article from one of the top research companies and it said people under 30 don't watch TV broadcast anymore or radio for that matter. Some of the reasons stated too mant commercials. So true! Have you watched a movie on one of the cable channels 5 minutes of the movie and 10 mins of spots! EVERY 20 minutes. I gave up watching that shit 10 years ago. Now its spread to the networks. What about radio? GMs wonder why their audience is eroding when stations plat up to 18 min and more. How the hell do you keep ratings consistent with that shit!

Remember the old 60s early 70s syndicated shows? 4-6 minutes of Nat spots. Now its 8 plus local.

Everything good and great about America is just about lost. Did you see the crap talent Jimmy Fallon had on monday night. Some black dude singing the Devil is alive. This dude had ZERO talent! I'm sure the 30 and under thought he was great.

my 2cents

corneo

Re: The end is near....

Post by corneo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:07 am

When I was doing website designing, customers main question was: how many ads can you get on the site? Now they have ads in video's if your not punished to have to watch a commercial before the video starts.

To me the problem is that the pubic has gotten use to current type of ads and ignore them of turn them off. Companies are selling them cheaper (and more of them) so they can meet the bottom line.

Until something new comes out that the public doesn't realize it's an ad, we're stuck in this rut.

dgrey

Post by dgrey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:17 am

"Everything good and great about America is just about lost. Did you see the crap talent Jimmy Fallon had on monday night. Some black dude singing the Devil is alive. This dude had ZERO talent! I'm sure the 30 and under thought he was great. "

the thing is, today it's not about quality anymore, it's about "swag" and the brand. Every artist is a certain brand, which is sold to people...the music doesn't matter that much anymore...

I did some research on TV and Radio usage too and I've foudn this:

Everything good and great about America is just about lost. Did you see the crap talent Jimmy Fallon had on monday night. Some black dude singing the Devil is alive. This dude had ZERO talent! I'm sure the 30 and under thought he was great.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/1910 ... ince-2002/

how come the amount of money spending on radio is rising? Doesn't fit to your info...

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Sat May 17, 2014 2:33 am

Never claimed what you just said.I claimed

Criptor

Post by Criptor » Sat May 17, 2014 6:53 pm

I listened to a local rock station this week, and I also listened to Music Choice Rock station this week. But the youth aren't listening.

frankincleveland

Post by frankincleveland » Thu May 22, 2014 9:08 am

Quality?

When has media ever been about quality?

It's always been about marketing whatever you can for the least amount to the common denominator.

In EVERYTHING we consume. Automobiles, food, television, radio, electronics.. how can we make this even cheaper and sell it for more? That's the question being asked in board rooms.

This is the country that embraced the "pet rock". That was a rock. In a box. The country that McDonalds built an empire on by selling hamburgers for .15 cents a piece.

What happens in media (and elsewhere) today isn't a product of some new strategy.. it's the natural evolution of the strategy that's been "conventional business wisdom" for as long as currency has existed... you're just the old man griping that today's music, television, etc is crap in the 21st century and pining for the "good old days".

Just like your father before you.. and his before him.

danno

Post by danno » Thu May 22, 2014 7:52 pm

frankincleveland wrote:Quality?

When has media ever been about quality?

It's always been about marketing whatever you can for the least amount to the common denominator.

In EVERYTHING we consume. Automobiles, food, television, radio, electronics.. how can we make this even cheaper and sell it for more? That's the question being asked in board rooms.

This is the country that embraced the "pet rock". That was a rock. In a box. The country that McDonalds built an empire on by selling hamburgers for .15 cents a piece.

What happens in media (and elsewhere) today isn't a product of some new strategy.. it's the natural evolution of the strategy that's been "conventional business wisdom" for as long as currency has existed... you're just the old man griping that today's music, television, etc is crap in the 21st century and pining for the "good old days".

Just like your father before you.. and his before him.
Using your "Logic" that Everybody has the mindset ..."How can we make it cheaper and sell it for more" to the lowest common denominator and Nobody cares about Quality .. that would mean that a "Bentley" is No different than a Honda Civic, a Harley Davidson is the same as a Mo-Ped scooter a four star restaurant serves to the Lowest common denominator like McDonalds... There IS such a thing as Quality, the difference is, you Pay for Quality Or you Settle for what you can afford.

frankincleveland

Post by frankincleveland » Wed May 28, 2014 10:05 am

Danno, I think you might be drunk and high if you think the people at Harley Davidson aren't asking themselves EVERY SINGLE DAY how they can make those bikes cheaper.

In fact, in the 70's it was the running joke that the bikes would fall apart before you made it home from the dealership... and if Harley Davidson is your benchmark for any discernible level of engineering excellence, you have truly been sipping on the marketing kool-aid yourself.

This is the culture we live in today, where places like Applebee's can serve a notch below frozen TV dinners, but since it's on a plate and the interior is neat, it MUST be quality stuff.

Yes. And Olive Garden is authentic Italian cuisine.

Which is why the likes of Anthony Bourdain can often be found lounging in the dimly lit recesses of your neighborhood TGI Friday's sipping on a ice cold Bud Light.. because it's quality stuff.

Marketing convinces us what products are quality and which are not, and we, like sheep flock to the brand logos for those products so everyone who sees us walk down the street can immediately identify us as persons of taste and culture with our swoosh adorned sweatshirt or [insert corporate logo and .89 sweat shop Chinese mfg'd product here]

The same people have been brainwashed to believe that if a product is "Made in the USA" it must instantly be not only of higher quality, but also of greater value.

Because, let's face it.. the American worker is world renowned for their work ethic and commitment to quality!

Need proof? Just order ANYTHING from the local McDonald's drive-thru and don't bother to look in the bag before you speed off. Because it's always going to be right, and piping hot fresh. Always.

Big business knows this. Clear Channel knows this. They know they don't need to have a superior product to dominate.

They just have to have a product, and market it to the masses as the premier product. Brand it. And punch out radio the same way Nike punches out shoes. Or Harley Davidson punches out crappy leather chain wallets (or anything else for that matter) that they can license their name to for a profit.

It's interesting you compare a Bentley to a Honda Civic.. because the Honda Civic is actually a vastly superior vehicle to a Bentley in every way. Aside from the price tag.

A price tag that's the result of very skillful marketing.

danno

Post by danno » Wed May 28, 2014 4:37 pm

a Honda Civic is a fine car and it goes up and down the street but it is what it is, a Bentley,Benz,Rolls,Jaguar are Luxury cars and serve that purpose well for those who want and afford them...Cadillacs in the 70's & 80's were high priced CRAP and did not sell well, when GM made them better and styled them better they began to sell, they didn't make them Cheaper...they tried that in the 70's & 80's and it didn't work. as far as Harley Davidson... there are Better Bikes...BMW's, even Honda's but Harley Davidson sells more than their bikes, they sell the IMAGE too, THAT is also Valuble and they are doing well in the bike world. You seem to have a problem with business's making a Profit.. its Business and Economics 101... make the best most sellable product you can, still leaving something for YOU to continue as a business...you probably don't like WalMart either, thats always a target for "The Left"... as a consumer, I Love Walmart! WHY should i pay More somewhere else for the same product i can buy there? and if someone can beat them, I'm THERE! its the essence of Business...Competition! as far as how this applies to the RADIO Industry(we sort of agree here) i think we've seen RADIO go down hill through the years producing a Crappy Product due to budget cutting and layoffs, the result in many cases... people going to OTHER platforms for their music and entertainment... RADIO needs to understand that CRAPPY products do NOT sell, and there are plenty of other choices out there... the question is how long can they get away with it?

frankincleveland

Post by frankincleveland » Thu May 29, 2014 4:34 pm

I don't have any problem with WalMart.. And I'm all for paying less for stuff.. But I also like quality stuff.

I'll pay more for good stuff, but still don't wanna pay full retail.. And I have trouble paying what I call the "Fan Boy Tax" on items.. That amount over and above the products fair value just because it's a trendy name.

I love Apple products, for instance. They make good stuff. But I won't buy it new. Because while they do use (for the most part) upper end component to and construction techniques, you're still paying a premium for that apple logo.

Harley Davidson is all brand. Sure a v-twin sounds cool, but there are plenty of other places you can buy a v-twin motor.

I have an old yamaha 1100 v-twin still running strong after 45k miles.. Hard miles at that. Left out in the rain. Oil seldom changed. Try that with a Harley motor and see what you end up with after 20k miles.

I know guys who need full rebuilds at 15k miles and they baby those bikes.

That's just one of many examples where the consumer is bullshitted into believing a particular brand is somehow upper echelon.

As it pertains to radio? National brands (syndicated programming) is akin to the microwave Big Mac.

I can get a Big Mac from my local store, but then I have to pay employees and overhead and this and that.. Let's make it all in one place, ship it out frozen, and not only can we sell it for the same price, but our profit margins will be higher, and the customer will get a consistent product.

That's the theory. It looks good on paper. But what the customer ends up with is a fuckin' frozen reheated Big Mac.. Which people will eat.. If that's all there is.. But it's never going to be the same thing.

I'm all for making a profit. I'm always cooking up promotions and events that AE's can use to drive sales, get existing clients to buy more, and that attract new clients. That's the name of commercial radio. Selling spots.

But keep it real. Keep it local. Keep it connected. Keep it relatable.

That's just my .02 cents. Your mileage may vary.