Gotta love GHETTO RADIO

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
cuddzu

Re: Gotta love GHETTO RADIO

Post by cuddzu » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:29 am

You never said if you took the Midday job offer in the Top 5 market.

If you are going to decline, let me know where the job is, I'll take it for 25K a year easy.
Thank You
All Access Moderator

zebster

Post by zebster » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:29 am

So someone who doesn't have a lot to spend but posts an ad deserves to be cussed out in public?
Nobody is forcing you to apply for a gig you don't think pays well enough, now are they?
Regardless of the salary, DO NOT EVER apply for a job at a station I program.
In fact, I suggest you quit sniveling, act like an adult, and get a job as a janitor.
I can't imagine your crappy attitude being acceptable in any other business.
Sincerely,
Zeb Norris
PD WNCS/WDOT/WRJT and a 38 year radio vet.

singleton33

Post by singleton33 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:52 am

So someone who doesn't have a lot to spend but posts an ad deserves to be cussed out in public?
Nobody is forcing you to apply for a gig you don't think pays well enough, now are they?
Regardless of the salary, DO NOT EVER apply for a job at a station I program.
In fact, I suggest you quit sniveling, act like an adult, and get a job as a janitor.
I can't imagine your crappy attitude being acceptable in any other business.
Sincerely,
Zeb Norris
PD WNCS/WDOT/WRJT and a 38 year radio vet.

Well said, Zeb. It's hard to believe that anybody who actually wants to be in this industry, who is even looking at ads from small markets would turn down a midday gig in New York, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, or Dallas. Or even further down the list, Houston, DC, Atlanta, Philly, or Boston. That's crazy talk. No matter what job you have in this business, there are at least a hundred people who would be happy to do it for less money than you are getting paid. That's the nature of the beast. I am the only person in the entire production department where I work for 2 FMs and an AM. It is sales and me. And "Ghetto Radio" as you describe it, would pay me more than I make now to do a lot less work. Yet I am quite happy, I get to carry headphones into work with me instead of a shovel. If you need to be well paid, then I suggest you look in another industry.

danno

Post by danno » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Its a shame people take these "Jobs" for the money being offered, IF the Industry had to Fight for people to fill these Jobs Radio would pay more just to fill the small staffs they have already, But they don't have to, there will Always be Knuckleheads who don't know how to do anything else and will jump at the chance to Be On The Radio... no matter how little it pays, that's just the reality of things, and it always has been, but now the staffs are much smaller and the need for People is much smaller and the Economy drives salaries down, and i get that. but i don't care, radio left me and i left radio to earn much more money running my own business outside of radio. for the future, radio will be something i can do to have fun(if its still fun) for some side money, or not. Being an Air-personality is something not everyone has the Talent to do, but it has always been a Underpaid Profession, and now even more so, thats just the way it is. If someone is happy making 25K that is their choice to live like that, but not mine.

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Sun May 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Zeb and her clueless followers. Lot's of followers in this business. I forgot to tell all you "stars" in radio, I have been retired for a few years. About the the time 120K jobs became 70K and 80K jobs became 50K and 50K jobs became 30K

Keep defending those low salaries and owners will keep paying them. :lol:

zebster

Post by zebster » Wed May 07, 2014 5:05 am

You need to brush up on your reading comprehension. I didn't defend the salaries. I suggested if you think the pay is too low you pass.
Oh, and I also called you out as a rude and stupid person. THAT I was doing by implication.
But since your reading skills are so piss poor, so I'm making that more clear here.
You're a dick.
They're 3 short words. I'm pretty sure you can follow this time.
Anyway, now it turns out that you're not even looking for work, just venting your ancient-ass spleen.
Have a nice retirement. Hope your nursing home is nice and all.

danno

Post by danno » Fri May 09, 2014 9:18 am

its pretty much agreed that unless you're seacrest, stern, rush or something salaries in Radio are Dismal, a little more Reality here.... when you have time look at what the Rest of the world is earning, your Garbage man is probably making MORE than the vast majority of folks on air in radio today, Teachers, Truck Drivers, Construction workers, your mailman, auto mechanics just a few but these are Jobs most in radio would turn their nose up at. like i posted earlier IF everyone could Do Radio they would, but not everybody has the skill or the Talent...Yet as a profession look how it stacks up, and it has ALWAYS been that way, the difference now is there are Less jobs in the Industry, not whining! just a reality Check. Unless you can earn a living wage, Radio is a fun Hobby, work PT weekends or something or not, it might require getting a Real Job.

fmantac27

Post by fmantac27 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:39 am

I have to agree with the OP. The real shame is that people who've been in this business for decades are thrilled to take crumbs for the "honor" of "carrying headphones into work." I board-op at a top-3 station and the jocks there have been in radio for more than 200 years combined (no joke). Some of the weekend guys drive more than an hour just to do a four hour shift at one in the morning and crack the mic for six seconds, five times an hour.

I love radio, but it really is kind of sad.

And people who rip the guy who wrote the original post for anything other than maybe his language are just drinking the sweet, sweet Kool-Aid (oh, wait...is mentioning Kool Aid being racist?).

danno

Post by danno » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:58 pm

fmantac27 wrote:I have to agree with the OP. The real shame is that people who've been in this business for decades are thrilled to take crumbs for the "honor" of "carrying headphones into work." I board-op at a top-3 station and the jocks there have been in radio for more than 200 years combined (no joke). Some of the weekend guys drive more than an hour just to do a four hour shift at one in the morning and crack the mic for six seconds, five times an hour.

I love radio, but it really is kind of sad.

And people who rip the guy who wrote the original post for anything other than maybe his language are just drinking the sweet, sweet Kool-Aid (oh, wait...is mentioning Kool Aid being racist?).
for 'These People" and many others salaries may not mean much when you have the Sickness, Radio is some kind of Illness! and lets face it, its Fun, or it used to be. its also fair to point out that for some of these people Radio is ALL they know how to do, so they will work for next to nothing just to Work, that's Sad and "Radio" will Gladly Let Them Do Just That ... IF they can still get a job in it.

vanaja

Post by vanaja » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:19 am

I love this