What automation system do you prefer?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
sportsradio11

What automation system do you prefer?

Post by sportsradio11 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:20 am

Random question, what automation system do you like best? Scott, NexGen, AudioVault, etc...

Thanks for any input!

frankincleveland

Re: What automation system do you prefer?

Post by frankincleveland » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:04 am

Of the three I've used I'd have to rank 'em as follows:

1. Scott,
2, Skylla
3. AudioVault

I know there are guys out there that LOVE AudioVault.. and maybe my experience with it has been with stations still trying to wring every last dime out of their decade old investment.. but I find it to be clunky and unnecessarily complicated to use for anything but the most basic features.

I can just hear the AudioVault fans storming to this thread now to tell me how inexperienced and stupid I am for even suggesting such a thing. :D

zebster

Post by zebster » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:55 pm

I prefer a staff. Digital automation has led to a potentially irreversible decline for our medium.

justadj

Post by justadj » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Well I believe the writer is asking about music scheduling automation. Every station uses one system or another. 8-)

cooperfox

Post by cooperfox » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:06 am

We've been on Wide Orbit for approx two years. While there are a few hangups with cart rotator creation (it's a pain in the ass), it is a very good, easy to use, stable system.

pdjobs91462

Post by pdjobs91462 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:13 am

I prefer Scott.

Maestro is okay. As is AudioVault.

derekleeinkc

Post by derekleeinkc » Fri May 02, 2014 5:31 am

I've had experience with Smartcaster (Pre-Skylla system) which originally ran on DOS and then Linux. It worked okay, but was very clunky.

Then at Cumulus I learned to use ENCO... except not a new ENCO, one that is about 10 years old. It does some amazing things, but it also hiccups a lot, and does some very strange and unexplained things (like randomly firing a cart during your Stop Set)

doubled89

Post by doubled89 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:41 pm

1) MediaTouch
2) Arrakis
3) Skylla

I just graduated from college, so these are the three I've only experienced with during my time in radio. Skylla is decent, but it was hard to broadcast a high school football/basketball game with.

I give the edge of Arrakis over Skylla, but it took me a while to get used to it. Once I got it down, it was easy to work with.

MediaTouch is simple and easy to use. I would recommend it to any radio station. You can do so much with it. The two colleges I went to had it and my peers learned it quickly. Just make sure before you leave to go home each night, to select "Auto On".

Every on-air software has its positives and negatives. I believe it all depends on your knowledge of it (how you operate it) and how comfortable you are with it.

zachstohr

Post by zachstohr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:49 pm

1) NexGen
2) AudioVault
3) Scott

ronniekohrt

Post by ronniekohrt » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:24 pm

Would recommend NexGen if your company can afford it all day, everyday and twice on Sunday. More capabilities that others just don't have/can execute, but you pay that price. So smooth and easy to do what would be very complicated with other automation systems. My ranking from what I've used.

1.) NexGen. The gold standard in automation systems.
2.) AudioVault. Solid, if you're into IT. It's backend .ini file can get frustrating, but once you have it down. It's nice and quite flexible.
3.) Simian. Many don't like Simian, but I love how it's very on-air friendly. However it can be very buggy and DEFINITELY have a mind of it's own. AKA back-up files daily.
4.) Scott Studios. Great automation system.... 20 years ago. It's just outdated. Haven't messed around with it's new Dad Wide Orbit.