Moving into the majors

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
soundhound

Moving into the majors

Post by soundhound » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:27 pm

I've got about 8 years experience (PD, OM, etc) in smaller markets.

I've relocated close to a major market (top 20) and they're looking for board ops/street teamers.

My question is how do I successfully communicate the fact that I'm willing to "start over" in a sense? I know these jobs typically go to people younger than I am with less years in the business, but I am looking at this as a completely fresh start in radio and would be a voracious learner.

Yet, I'm not sure how exactly I'm viewed by the people considering applicants. Are they more likely to think "there's no way he wants to start over as a board op" or is my experience, however small, even a plus?

warpfactor

Re: Moving into the majors

Post by warpfactor » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:36 pm

They won't . They'll look on you as overqualified . Your backround will scare PD who hires the board ops , and the promotions director who hires the street team will not hire you because they'll assume that you want to "cross the hall" into programming and leave 'em high and dry . They don't to hire people like you , they want to hire dumb kids they can pay minimum wage to who can be "easily led".

Radiogeoff

Re: Moving into the majors

Post by Radiogeoff » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:01 pm

You're right. What happens though, when you're sucked in and learn the difference. Then how do you cross the hall, or just make an honest living in broadcasting?

You look around, listen to whats going on elsewhere and decide to do your own thing. Things can be good in this business, you just have to have a vision.