Airchecks/Demo

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
azbat25

Airchecks/Demo

Post by azbat25 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:32 am

I was wondering if anyone had any pointers when putting together there airchecks/demos. Any tips that may have worked for them, things they have heard that they liked, etc.

Thanks

kendallweaver

Re: Airchecks/Demo

Post by kendallweaver » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 am

Unfortunately, there's just no standard in our industry for what an aircheck should include. I've been on the air for decades, and taught broadcasting to college students for years, and could never find a "template" for this. Guidelines suggest 2-3 minutes, some on-air work and some production, but otherwise, it depends on the type of job you're applying for.. obviously a news position would call for news in your aircheck, etc. Basically, work on giving the person listening an idea of what you could sound like on their station. I believe most people hiring have a sound in mind, and if you don't happen to fit that sound you're outta luck.
I don't particulary love the way I come across in such a brief sample, but for what it's worth, here's me.. I'm looking too! http://kendallweaver.tumblr.com/

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:43 pm

I'm not a programmer, but I don't see how anyone could get an appreciation for what you do in less than 5-10 minutes.

I'd put together a 5 minute demo, consisting of the stuff YOU think you do best. Why waste time sending 3 or 4 liner sets in a row? Trained monkeys can do that. If the target station is interested in something more than positioning slogan radio, you'll stand a much better chance if you're actually saying something. Just keep it brief and relevant.

allenh

Post by allenh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:16 am

pbergin wrote:I'm not a programmer, but I don't see how anyone could get an appreciation for what you do in less than 5-10 minutes.

I'd put together a 5 minute demo, consisting of the stuff YOU think you do best. Why waste time sending 3 or 4 liner sets in a row? Trained monkeys can do that. If the target station is interested in something more than positioning slogan radio, you'll stand a much better chance if you're actually saying something. Just keep it brief and relevant.

I think it's better to leave them wanting more. A PD will know within 20 seconds if he wants to hear the rest of the aircheck. 2-3 mins is enough.

azbat25

Post by azbat25 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:32 pm

I was thinking that I might have been missing something as I have applied to tonnes of jobs and haven't really gotten much attention, that being said I am number one in my market and have been for two years,so I was curious if anyone had any thoughts or tips for airchecks that may have worked for them.

sexpot

Post by sexpot » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:37 pm

Show your creativity, your personality, how you have command of your voice, timing, realism, enthusiasm, etc. Pick the things you do best and what you want them to know about you in the most economical way! Some programmers first priority is the search for the "sound" that he or she has in mind. Could be they are looking for someone who delivers the kind of content they envision for the day part. It's like fishing, you put your best bait on the hook and keep casting until you land one!

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:42 am

When someone refers to herself as "sexpot", I know I'M gonna listen. What am I saying? It might be a male "sexpot!"

Great points though, and thoroughly on track.

It'd be interesting to hear what an actual PD might have to say on this topic. Let's assume that you have an afternoon drive opening at your station, and that you HAVE to hire someone from the pile of airchecks you received. In other words, no EEO only style recruitment campaign.

What would YOU want to hear?

kendallweaver

Post by kendallweaver » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:33 am

Azbat25... there are just hundreds of jocks applying for every position, so don't be dicouraged.. keep trying.
Many Program Directors toss aside the resume at 1st, since they're not going to hire you unless they like the way you sound. It IS crazy to make hiring choices based on 2-3 minutes, but a good PD will only use that as a filter.. and will still consider your experience and work history. So the only "Secret" to an aircheck is to sound like what the PD is imaging his next jock will sound like. Put your best stuff on there, and make sure your package gets his attention. Remember, most jobs are landed through networking anyways.. so keep working at it.

sexpot

Post by sexpot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:27 pm

You just heard from a PD! Like I said...a PD listens first, if he likes what he hears he looks at the resume. What kind of experience you have, are you a ship jumper, or someone he might want to hang his hat on. When you make the short stack and he has time set aside he makes calls. He has a quicky with you to set up something a little more formal. Some times he'll just call to see if your of sound mind and worthy of a second call. Or if your lucky he'll call and be up front about the salary available and see if your still interested. ;) Initially he looks for someone that fits the profile he has pictured in his head then looks over all the applications for that... or the next best thing. Simple really. Here's the important tip, just because you send a package to one PD and get no response doesn't mean you suck it means your not right for ... him. To much to do to call back the hundreds to let them know they did not make the cut, move on. To each own, try again!

There are also variables, like, don't send stuff to a station out of your league and expect a real response, like you have a real shot. Know your skill level and apply for those positions available that match that. Send them off to PD's you might like to work for in the future, no harm in that, networking is good! Or forget all that and shoot for the moon! each PD has his way of doing things, that's how I do it, it works for me...never had a bad hire, cross my fingers... :) In today's media world, like spots, high frequency wins...send it to every one!

O.k. how many times did I flip flop there? No real answer...no one way. They are hiring you... so show them...you, and do it your way! Good luck!

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:08 am

OK, here's my fundamental point I guess. When I listen to airchecks from folks online, I hear 2-3 minutes of positioning slogans, station promos, liners and promos. I hear no personal content of any kind. Nothing even remotely approaching entertainment and/or companionship in any way.

Now when I was in radio, the entertainment/companionship element was foremost. ANYBODY could read positioning slogans, it took a pro to communicate.

I see very professional looking websites, put together by extremely talented people with an obvious eye toward marketing, but when I click the link all I get is 2-3 minutes of liners. Some people have multiple mp3s from various formats, but they're all exactly the same... basics, nothing more.

Has radio reached the point where irrelevant, disjointed commercial blather has completely subjugated relevant content?