Questions: Remote Broadcast with Smart Phones/ Tablets

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jimlambertradio

Questions: Remote Broadcast with Smart Phones/ Tablets

Post by jimlambertradio » Sat May 02, 2015 5:41 am

irst thank you for taking the time to read this, and a bigger thank you if you decide to reply.

In your opinion what is the best (I define best as sound quality, added featured, ease of use, ability to send back to the studio) apps for both IOS and Android to record remote breaks?

We have recently purchased a few Irigs (device to connect a mic to smart phone/tablet) to replace some older remote equipment and move forward with technology so that our talent can use there smart phones/tablets at events, and reduce the issue of not enough equipment on busy weekends. I have noticed a difference in sound quality based on the apps used.

What apps do you use?

What device?

What are your settings?

Thank you again for your feedback on this matter.

Jim

scremped

Re: Questions: Remote Broadcast with Smart Phones/ Tablets

Post by scremped » Wed May 06, 2015 1:28 pm

We do it as cheap as possible as our budget it the change sitting in a jar on my PD's desk.

All of us have iPhones

-At the remote we use the Voice Memo app (one of the ones you have automatically)
-We pre-dub the break for air and e-mail it back to the board-op/jock in house.
-Since it's Apple, the file is an m4a file which cannot be used in Adobe
-The jock/board-op converts the file to MP3 adjusts it as necessary and lays it down with our remote bed and plays it when the break is meant to occur

It's cheating a bit since we saying broadcasting live, but our marti looks like it fought a war and lost...plus anytime we do this our clients minds are blown. (You can do that on a phone now??!!)

So it works.

Lysalove

Post by Lysalove » Thu May 07, 2015 10:39 am

The Irig mic is good.

Try these apps - great quality!! Voice Record (Icon has a red mic) It's free and has lots of studio features including converting files and editing (one track)

Twisted Wave App - free! Upgrade is $9.99 (I like this one best).

If you are on site and not in the studio, that counts as live to me. The end result is what matters, especially when your Marti looks like and sounds like it has been through a tough azz war!!

1lossir

Post by 1lossir » Fri May 08, 2015 2:25 pm

For "live" remotes I've had great success with Skype, assuming you have a high-bandwidth LTE connection or can hook up to wi-fi.

NCH's RecordPad app comes in iOS and Android versions and even the free version allows files to be sent in MP3.

For iOS, Twisted Wave can't be beat.

daver

Post by daver » Sun May 10, 2015 1:12 pm

After several years of pre-recording all remote breaks the day or so before the event, we have recently begun using an Android phone with the Voice App that came with the phone. The audio is great quality.

I think today's expectations does not allow for just a cell phone call (although I had an AE argue with me that cell phones are fine...after all listeners are on cell phones) Listeners aren't paying over a grand to be on the air.

danpreston

Post by danpreston » Mon May 11, 2015 11:05 am

Droid phone and a $5 app called Tape Machine. Converts to MP3 and has some basic editing like Adobe built in. Pre-recorded breaks since the 90s so not worried about the "live" part. And if your event is busy - tracking down that person you "must" do an interview with is a lot easier if you can walk in with a smart phone.
As others have stated, email it back to the studio and have the board op add music etc and boom - on air.
The on board mic on my droid does amazing, and a 1/4 inch mic jack will plug into the headphone port if you want to look the part - I didn't notice much difference in audio for remote, but the plug in mic makes for better videos.