New Maroon 5 single

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
tonymitchell

New Maroon 5 single

Post by tonymitchell » Wed May 20, 2015 1:40 am

Does anyone know if there will be an even cleaner version of "This Summer's Gonna Hurt" released? Even the so-called "radio-friendly" version leaves nothing to the imagination! We're a Hot AC station and I did a quick poll of the 40-something women in our building, individually letting them hear the song before asking them if it's a good fit for our station. Not one of them said we should be allowed to air that, even though the Mother F'er lyrics were cut. One said it would be irresponsible for us to play even the cleaned up version.

Hey, it's Maroon 5, a core artist on our station! As much as I'd like to add this song, I just can't justify it as it stands right now. Any other Hot AC programmers running into this dilemma?

donobrian

Re: New Maroon 5 single

Post by donobrian » Wed May 20, 2015 10:16 am

So take the instrumental and the regular song and mute down the mother part and play the instrumental over it. You can do the whole song in audition in about 15 minutes give or take.

tonymitchell

Post by tonymitchell » Fri May 22, 2015 8:00 am

Thanks for the input. I know everyone isn't like me, and perhaps I'll get a response from some that think I'm being overly conservative. I just always prefer to air music that isn't going to stir up obvious thoughts of a word such as "fucker" on my radio station. Everyone knows Adam Levine isn't singing "mother aha". I work in a very conservative market and believe in something the late Don Hallett taught me when he was a consultant for us. He said it's not what you DON'T play that will hurt you, but what you DO play that can bite you.

dwc151

Post by dwc151 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:47 pm

You know your market better than any of us, but here's something to consider. If you don't play it, people will listen to it anyway. I have no idea if it's going to be a hit, but if it is do you want to be the one that isn't playing it?

Those are things I'd consider if I were in your shoes.

arlington80

Post by arlington80 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:58 pm

The song shot up from 44 to 23 in the latest Hot AC Published chart, so it is already off to a strong start. Probably best to play it, and tone down/muffle/obscure or delete the offending words. That's what Top 40 stations do with songs like that...it seems to work...

Conway09

Post by Conway09 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:46 am

Agree with the point that nobody knows your market better than you.

I program a HOT AC and consider myself pretty conservative when it comes to song content/lyrics (colleagues tell me that as well)..... and I put the super clean version of this song (mother ah-ahh) in immediately without thinking twice.

tonymitchell

Post by tonymitchell » Tue May 26, 2015 7:10 am

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm taking the side of caution and am holding out for at least one more week on it to see what happens. This market is VERY conservative and I'm the one who takes the complaint calls when a song is potentially offensive. I appreciate everyone's input on it though.

andrew850

Post by andrew850 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:33 pm

We haven't had any complaints in Denver but that's Denver. Maybe once the song makes its rounds and your audience hears it first in movie trailers and TV promos it won't be as shocking when they hear you play it. The song will be around for a while. No sense being in a hurry.

Post by 983 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:19 pm

Our Adult CHR station management is very concerned about lyrics, so I made my own edit of this song and got it on the air right away.

nancydouglass

Post by nancydouglass » Thu May 28, 2015 11:17 am

I am the GM at a Hot AC station in southeastern Wisconsin. We're not playing it. Call us over-conservative if you like. Maroon 5 is an unbelievably talented group of individuals. They did not have to use that phrase in their song. There are enough innuendos and double entendres in lyrics today - no one needs a song that basically shoves crappy language in one's face. It's disappointing. - Nancy Douglass, GM, Lake 961 FM