New Maroon 5 single

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
nancydouglass

Re: New Maroon 5 single

Post by nancydouglass » Thu May 28, 2015 11:17 am

I am the GM at a Hot AC station in southeastern Wisconsin. We're not playing it. Call us over-conservative if you like. Maroon 5 is an unbelievably talented group of individuals. They did not have to use that phrase in their song. There are enough innuendos and double entendres in lyrics today - no one needs a song that basically shoves crappy language in one's face. It's disappointing. - Nancy Douglass, GM, Lake 961 FM

ajtavez

Post by ajtavez » Thu May 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Is it any different from Nicki Minaj's "Starships" or Usher talking about his hooker girlfriend in "I Don't Mind"....JLO's "Big Booty".....or even the sweet "innocent" Ariana Grande's "One Last Time" - what are the lyrics again = ("Baby I don't care if you got her in your heart...All I really care is you wake up in my arms"), ya know - the stuff 13 year olds jam out to and your in-house survey would approve of. Morality aside, Radio grew with the big kid mentality. We play the "hits" - even if the "hits" unfortunately push the envelope (slightly or to the max). If the public is googling/youtube'ing it/liking it, we gotta play it. It's the little thing we all love getting that fuels our desire to separate church from Top40/CHR/Hot AC/*insert every other format here*, ratings. Less than decent...you might have a hit. *Before anybody hangs me for this...it doesn't apply ALL the time. Lighten up; pour yourself a glass of window cleaner/paint remover (coke) and get your imaging director to make fun of the fact you're advertising sex and indecency on your airwaves about 23 1/2 hours of your 24-hour daily broadcast in "good faith," per the FCC. ;) *bows*

Update (edit): I forgot to tell you what I did to the track, lol. Yeah, fix it up - do what the guy above me suggested...lay it over the instrumental, work some prod magic and make the *inappropriateness* turn into an effect ... or silence it all together. However, don't do it too much or you'll have...
"This summer is gonna hurt"
"Her Body's..."
"She must be .... something"
"Sipping.....on the beach"
and only God knows what one could derive from THOSE lines.

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Thu May 28, 2015 1:54 pm

57 on the itunes dl chart......well maybe it just takes awhile to get into this one. :)

I think it sounds good, the immature lyrics are dwarfed by a good beat and strong melody, Adam's voice is very unique and recognizable in the current day biggest band on the planet, tho I don't know what the other guys are for, it's Adam and a big name producer behind all their songs now.

I want this song to work, but you can't ignore a few cracks in the armor here, the next 2 weeks will tell us if this song will be hurtin before the summer is over, or putting a hurtin on the power spins all summer long. Sorry, it's just there really should be no questions with a band of this magnitude.

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Thu May 28, 2015 1:58 pm

One more thing, as we know just because WE the radio people take a song to #15 or so the mediabase radio spins chart, that doesn't mean a song is a hit. Hell GDFR was #10 and it is questionable if that song was a hit, yeah I know there are stories in some markets, but other markets they couldn't even play it outside of overnight and off peak weekend hours due to low scores.

*I dont work directly and I know, that makes this oh so fun :)

tonymitchell

Post by tonymitchell » Fri May 29, 2015 1:29 am

Our station never played "Starships" , "I Don't Mind", or J-Lo's Booty song either. Just sayin'.

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Fri May 29, 2015 3:35 pm

Starships was a hit, mind and booty weren't. I don't see why you would play any of them now, much better choice to fill your recurrents and gold. Smart move with Maroon 5 is to keep the spins around 30x a week and wait a bit. Name alone with get it to 10, but that doesn't mean it is a hit. As someone who called Omi back in January when it was new in Australia without a single us airplay yet and a good 3 months away then, the Maroon 5 summer has been the toughest one of the year to predict. I thought it was a no brainer at first but those downloads call into question. That's the beauty of it, when it seems you got it all figured out you get reminded that you can't ever run the board on hit prediction.

jack516

Post by jack516 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:45 am

I don't get why yall wouldn't play the clean. It's 2015, it's time to stop with this closed-minded shit even in conservative regions.