Need Help Switching Format

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
cylonshrimper

Need Help Switching Format

Post by cylonshrimper » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Ok, serious question here. I have been offered a job that but for one horrible aspect could be considered my dream job. I will be a part of a morning team in a top 20 market for the kind of money that I didn't think existed anymore in this business. Certainly more than I've ever had before. Oh, I have accepted and will be moving shortly. The problem is, it is a country station. I honest to god don't know how I am going to survive that format. Whenever I accidentally hear a few seconds of a country song, I throw up in my mouth a little bit. I mean, come on, it's seriously horrible music, right? I remember the time that they decided that country needed a slogan. Remember "Admit it, you love it..." ?? I was thinking more along the lines of, "Country music, a celebration of ignorance!" So, I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has been down this path? Maybe there is some kind of medication I can take so that when I hear Luke Bryan's Kermit the frog voice caturwalling about "rain makin' corn makin' whiskey, shove the bottle up my butt with my fisty," I won't want to go on some kind of
Wal-Mart murder spree. Meditation maybe? Any ideas would be helpful, I just signed for two years.

corneo

Re: Need Help Switching Format

Post by corneo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:14 am

I have sort of the same problem. The show before mine is a "forgotten hit's of the 1950 and before country" which is done by a guy who's in his 80's. Completely makes my body fall asleep. Of course he ask me trivia questions of the song and bugs the hell out of me. I tell him anything before the BeeGee's I don't know, which drives him nuts.

You need to find your nich, What's your purpose for the show? Hate-monger, common sense commentator, 1 line comedy, news? Zone everything else out. Most likely you'll find out that the people who are currently there don't give two craps about what they are playing either.

Walk litely at first just incase they are country nerds. No sense getting fired for insulting their passion. Also remember country in the #1 format in the country. Learning more about will help your career.

successfulhost

Post by successfulhost » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:50 pm

It's not like you'll be listening to the music anyway.

Be grateful you're making a good living in this business.

ksslradio

Post by ksslradio » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:49 am

If you don't love it, don't do it. It comes through in your performance.

successfulhost

Post by successfulhost » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:44 pm

ksslradio wrote:If you don't love it, don't do it. It comes through in your performance.
You can love doing radio without loving the music you're playing.

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:16 am

I was thinking more along the lines of, "Country music, a celebration of ignorance!"

You wont have a problem with the music, it doesn't matter if you like it or not. The problem you might have from the above text that you typed is that you look down on your audience for not agreeing with you. If you are going to wake them up each morning by calling them racist uneducated rednecks who sleep with their sister and proceed to tell them why they are wrong and your views are correct, you will alienate them and not only destroy the chance of your show connecting with the target audience but also destroying all the good will and friendship that the entire station has earned with this community.

No one expects you to be Sean Hannity, the audience doesn't want that either, but they wont tolerate anyone who comes off as an elitist who looks down on those with Conservative views or Christian based morals and values. As a communicator you know that who you truly are is irrelevant, it is what you say and just look how you opened yourself up with just that one line. You think you can really hold down mornings talking to people that you don't like or respect?

summer

Post by summer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am

Interesting to say the least. A top 20 market country station will be visited by nearly all of the country artists.
If not in person then you will interview them on the phone. That format is closer to it's artists than any other.
Your obvious contempt of the music could be a huge problem. With that said, your ignorance of the music/artists could be a source of great content for the show. Be honest and real without being a dick will appeal to this audience. They are very loyal if they like you. Modern country has it's issues, but it's an enormously popular format and you won't meet nicer artists in any format. Good luck!

pine

Post by pine » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:03 pm

I was playing ClassicCountry until a young female PD let me go. I was an old Doo Wop guy. But getting into radio with a Country station started things off. I have played Classic Rock but always wound up being more successful in Country. Lot of that Classic Country was pretty bad and my listeners knew the artists that I didn't care for, Roy Acuff, Lefty Frizell and others. But as long as the gave me creative freedom, I lived with it and became very popular with my listeners.

chip

Post by chip » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:24 am

Radio is radio. Period. Adapt. Be flexible. Don't go in to it with a closed mind. Country is a fun format, and nowdays country is the old southern rock with a fiddle and a steel guitar thrown in. Again, radio is radio...only the songs are different.

torain4

Post by torain4 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:54 pm

I'm not gonna lie! I would jump at the chance!!! I love to entertain, interact, produce content, (on air or otherwise) Having being a musician....to a degree...I could channel it to appreciation the performance so country might not be in my playlist ...but you best believe I could be a part of a Morning Team or fly solo. I can shine between the records. Any records!
My suggestion is Show your Skills!!! do what they hired you to do and do it well! Down the line an opportunity will come. And you'll be ready! ;)
OH and Congrats on getting the GIG!!!! that's not easy these Days!!!