Are OLDIES really bad (dead)?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
mcphearson

Are OLDIES really bad (dead)?

Post by mcphearson » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:48 pm

It appears that I missed that memo.

Are Oldies (DC5, Beatles, Elvis, Motown, Stones, etc.), really really dead?

javascript:void(0);

rickj

Re: Are OLDIES really bad (dead)?

Post by rickj » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:44 pm

No!

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:54 pm

It's amazing to hear the same crap on most oldies/classic hit stations.

Usually rock oriented. Seems the POP Classic Hit Stations do better. Even the TRUE Gold Based AC stations do well. Lot of programmers shying away from a lot of good POP and R&B in my humble opinion.

corneo

Post by corneo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:36 am

You may want to watch the time frame of a song (like the Big Band songs of the 30's) but anything from 1960 should have an audience.

Our station has a Sat. morning show which plays 1950's songs. and I don't think anybody really listens. We can't sell the show and I think the owner allows the show because the host does work on the building in exchange.

danno

Post by danno » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:20 pm

There are 1000's of radio stations out there and there is certainly room for an Oldies or "Classic Hits" stations in the mix... in My market there is 1 Oldies station + 3 Classic Hits stations and one Classic hits/rocker, ALL on FM... the market is 250K.. kinda crazy! . the sales department just needs to know How to Sell it, in most cases the 25-40 year old salesperson dismisses the format because "They" don't listen to it or like it... all these stations are making money in this market.

mcphearson

Re: Are OLDIES (Chuck Berry, Elvis) really bad (dead)?

Post by mcphearson » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Are OLD OLDIES (Chuck Berry, Elvis, Holly) able to garner an audience?

arlington80

Post by arlington80 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Oldies aren't dead. but they are less interesting. I listen to them from time to time, but not that often. What I DON'T want to hear is the same limited playlist over and over. Roy Orbison had other hits besides 'Only the Lonely' and 'Oh Pretty Woman' and 'Crying'. Surely the programmers can find an additional song by Roy that fits the sound of the station. Al Green had numerous hits, not just 'Let's Stay Together'. How about 'Look What You've Done for Me?' The Mamas and the Papas had more hits besides 'California Dreamin' and 'Monday Monday'. Like 'I Saw Her Again' or 'Creeque Alley'. A little bit of unpredictability makes a station fun to listen to.

danno

Post by danno » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:30 pm

If you're doing Classic Hits and or Oldies, you've got to keep it Fresh, sounds like an Oxymoron when you're playing music from the 60's and 70's, But look, chances are if you are in the format you have NO others doing the same format and even if you might, there is No Reason to use a 300-400 song playlist. the listeners are Smarter than most programmers and they Know there was more music produced that they Remember than hearing "Brown Eyed Girl" 2-3 times a day. Open up the music, even a Mid-Charter is memorable and Fresh when played in moderation and breaks up the Predictability. i had Great Success doing it.

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:45 pm

Your purpose is to attract the most ears that you can and people want familiar music from radio now more than ever. Radio is not for the passionate music fans, they have their own collection or stream a mix customized to them.

I have played music live to hundreds of people and while I had thousands of songs, most that charted, to keep the vibe up and party going I had to stick to a small list of the most popular songs. You seen the direct reaction when you played something not from the a list.

It is just how it is, it is not going to change. A classic hits station can sprinkle in those 60s cuts sparingly for flavor but it better be brown eyed respect flash lol.

danno

Post by danno » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:56 pm

donobrian wrote:Your purpose is to attract the most ears that you can and people want familiar music from radio now more than ever. Radio is not for the passionate music fans, they have their own collection or stream a mix customized to them.

I have played music live to hundreds of people and while I had thousands of songs, most that charted, to keep the vibe up and party going I had to stick to a small list of the most popular songs. You seen the direct reaction when you played something not from the a list.

It is just how it is, it is not going to change. A classic hits station can sprinkle in those 60s cuts sparingly for flavor but it better be brown eyed respect flash lol.
If Radiois Not for the Passionate Music Fans....What the Hell are we in The Business For? If there is ANY Format where people Love and are Passionate about their "Memories" its Classic Hits, i'm sorry i can't get or Be passionate for the Same Tired List of "Tested" Burned out song titles or i Will go back to my I-Pod and Ditch Radio, because there is Nothing there for me! if thats what you want you will have succeeded. its this kind of Consultant mind set that has Killed radio. Sorry i can't agree with you, and i Know i'm Right, my stations have been successful.