Ad says they want "World Class" Talent

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jimdandy

Ad says they want "World Class" Talent

Post by jimdandy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:12 am

If someone wants you to have "World Class" talent to apply for their position, but they aren't willing to pay relocation or a decent salary then they themselves are not world class and thus don't deserve you.

dylan923

Re: Ad says they want "World Class" Talent

Post by dylan923 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:14 am

AMEN!

cuddzu

Post by cuddzu » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:04 pm

I don't know of any station that does relocation anymore. Haven't since the 2000's.

Anyone?

As far as pay goes, "poverty line" is now 22 thousand a year so I suspect annual salary won't be far away from that anyway. Programming pay has always been low since forever unless you score a syndicated deal, and even then sometimes it isn't enough depending on your bills, cost of living, etc.
Thank You
All Access Moderator

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:06 pm

Most radio owners, GMs are completely oblivious.to what a decent salary is, They drive Lexis while on air talent drive Civics.

cuddzu

Post by cuddzu » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:54 pm

You mean Lexus.
:-)
Thank You
All Access Moderator

zebster

Post by zebster » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:07 am

Complaining about it here is sure to fix things in a jiffy.

finnishface

Post by finnishface » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:11 am

When talking about salaries for musicians you often think about those who play different kind of popular music like Mike. We know that what you earn here, differ very much depending on how successful you are. But if we take a look att those who after many, many years of hard practice succeed in being a a classical musician, you will find that they usually don´t earn much more than a well payed worker.
Last edited by finnishface on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

corneo

Post by corneo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:22 am

Allow me as a radio station GM to give you an idea of what I see as far as talent goes:

If you're that good, I can't afford you.

Most time slots can be filled by syndicated shows. Yeah, it's tacky but it works.

It takes maybe an hour to plug your voice overs for your entire show. (because it pre-recorded) I'm not paying $40K for you to do that.

If I hire you, you will do sales to help your pay. I'm competing with 9 other stations in my area. Get out there and be known. Really, your not that special.

My over head per month is roughly $30K a month. Just to keep my doors open. Add your pay and everybody else's pay and we're looking at $50K per month.

The newest thing out there is host who have talent and are known send in their voice overs and do this for many stations nationwide. (Kind of syndication but more personable.) What is his pay? I have to run his national ads on my show. My cost is nothing.

I know this is brutal but it's honest. Computers have changed the radio business. I can run 6 station with nobody at them remotely. I will always need sales people and they get paid the best.

Why do I drive a Lexus? Because I get paid for running 7 stations at the same time. I'm the guy who get's a new butt when something goes wrong. Which means I get a fraction from the profits for each station. Station doesn't make money, I don't get paid.