Radio Today and in the Past

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
thelegend

Radio Today and in the Past

Post by thelegend » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:50 pm

You know as i read through all the usual changes and movements in the radio industry i can't help but think how lucky I was to have saved my money and also got a nice pension from a big outfit , please don't get me wrong i was once young and moved a lot but one thing i never did was hang with all the record people and dope heads. Many were honest good people, others were dirt bags. I can honestly say i never in 40+ years did i attend a DJ conference. Many did drugs and i wasn't into drugs. I was even nominated several times for major market air personality and programmer of the year. Not trying to be snobbish or boastful i just hated to go to these things. Again I'm not trying to be high and mighty just honest. Many of my best friends and awesome air talent and program directors/consultants attended but not me. No way Jose. I'd rather spend time with my family than smoke a bag of weed and drink it down with booze all weekend. Know what I'm screaming?

Having said that as i look in the trades and see 50 and 60 year olds chasing the never ending dream job. I feel sad for them and their family. This kind of life took it's toll on my family, so i got out. The young folk i especially feel sorry for because chances are 90% of the stations they go to work for will be 25 in a row-NO TALK./NO FUN. Just Sayin :?

musicmonet

Re: Radio Today and in the Past

Post by musicmonet » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:57 pm

I agree. As a 24 year old still looking to get on air I find that most stations either syndicate or they just have music running the whole time with jocks saying two or three things every hour. I constantly ask myself, "Is radio what I want to do? Is it still the same thing I fell in love with when I was a kid?"

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:35 pm

It really depends on the format and the day part. There are some formats where jocks do interviews with celebrities and have lots of freedom to be creative. Lots of opportunities if you look for them and are willing to try some new things.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:55 am

COUNTRY BOY!

I don't visit as often these days. Nice to see you posting still. You're like the grandpa that some of the kids roll their eyes at when you speak. You say the things not everyone wants to hear and, quite frankly, think you're wrong about. But, thing is, just like a real grandpa there will come a time eventually when those same kids stop and get "that look" on their face and think "Shit, he was right again..."

Legend...I know you don't live n die but what others think or say, but, you're right on so many levels. I had a blast the first 20 years. As the industry changed at the hands of the real estate investors it was clear what they wanted to do with their toys. And you know what it's like to play with the kid in the neighborhood who had the cool toys but didn't know how to work them. They're still THEIR TOYS and they'll play with them however they want.

It always brings to mind the story of the GM and his young PD walking in to an old barn to find one of the first Corvettes off the line under a tarp. The PD says "What's that?" The GM replies "I don't know. But I bet we can weld some wings on it and see if it will fly!"

Have a good one all!

TheMaxPower

Post by TheMaxPower » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:00 am

Once Radio is in your blood it attaches to your very DNA. At least for those of us who were "raised on the radio" and wanted to be like those we listened to and had some hopes of maybe touching someone who would one day say Oh I used to listen to.... boy those were good times! Like my great former colleague Winterwest whom I had many a fun time out in the Netherlands of Coachella CA. back in the primitive 90s I feel sad for what has happened to the Radio Industry. I never got into Radio for the money. Oh Money is nice make no mistake. But I was always thrilled I was getting paid for doing something that I had dreamed of doing since I was 8. Consolidation, Technology, Greed, Laziness, and apathy have ruined the radio industry. Well that's my opinion. At least I have GREAT memories and met some even Better people who made me a better person. Plus I got to meet Pete Pardo! :D And I Had The Corvette. Sure it was a crappy C4 1987 but it got me through Indio in a jiff!

tstone

Post by tstone » Mon May 02, 2016 5:10 am

Radio is like most professions in entertainment, I've found. You have to want it in a way that most prefessions don't demand. Further, if you want a normal, stable life...it probably isn't for you. Because it will be a very, very long time, in all likelyhood, before you achieve it.

But if you have the stuff and the desire, it can be done.

It just come down to...how badly do you want it?

captainbrian

Post by captainbrian » Sun May 29, 2016 5:19 am

It IS the entertainment industry. Like all entertainers, we "peak" at different times. You may have several peaks, whether that is based on the position or the market size. If you get an eight year "run" somewhere, consider yourself lucky. Look at most singers...maybe one or two hits and a life span of a couple of years. TV shows that run five years are hits and they're on once a week. We do it daily. Be thankful for the shot you get and make the most out of it. In this day and age of our industry, ya have to work harder, get paid less than your predosesors. And yep there are a number of older broadcasters out there, me included, who still have the dream, live the dream and hope others continue to do the same. We have a lot of knowledge that can help those just starting out. Bottom line, don't criticize experience...learn from it.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Sun May 29, 2016 10:26 am

Try to remember why we are in radio. It's not for ourselves, but for the audience. If you keep the focus on the listeners, you will find a way to be entertaining regardless of the constraints, regardless of the circumstances. If the focus is on yourself, you'll never be happy until you're the boss.

onepercenter

Post by onepercenter » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:00 am

you are an inspiration to the slackers that ..just give up,why not it's easier than doing!!!

Audentes fortuna iuvat

zebster

Post by zebster » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:04 am

I smoked a ton of weed, went to every conference I could get into, have stayed in the business for 40 years, am still having fun, and am a millionaire.
Also, I don't call myself a Legend.
So what's your gig these days?
I don't think one can get paid for being a sanctimonious gasbag... but I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.