The "mornings at 106.9 Fox in Norfolk" help wanted ad

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
chomen

The "mornings at 106.9 Fox in Norfolk" help wanted ad

Post by chomen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:44 am

Okay, that's the 3rd time I've seen this ad in the last 6 weeks. I am POSITIVE that with all of the very talented people in the radio business who are looking for work RIGHT NOW that you have received dozens of decent airchecks and resumes and references.

Stop screwing around and hire someone. What are you waiting for? The absolutely perfect fit? There is no such thing. Pick out the best 3 candidates that you've got right now and call them and interview them. Then, out of those 3, hire the one you like the most. Stop wasting time and get on the damn stick.

Come on.

pbergin

Re: The "mornings at 106.9 Fox in Norfolk" help wanted ad

Post by pbergin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:42 am

Looks to me like these guys are giving due diligence to an important hire. I'd be encouraged by this, not discouraged. It shows they're looking for someone they can stick with.

If you sent a package, and you feel it's the best you can do, just sit back and relax. If you're as good as you think you are, you'll probably get a call.

'Back In The Day" I worked for a major station whose PD would search up to 6 months to fill a slot. needless to say, it was very unusual for anyone to leave because of "philosophical differences."

chomen

Post by chomen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:48 pm

No, you're wrong. The level of talent that's out there right now -- looking -- is higher than it's ever been. A PD in a Top 50 market doesn't have to wait long to find the right person. The talent is there right away -- it's insane to wait months. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the right talent is already in your mailbox. It's a program director on an ego trip "We're so good and so special, that among the 2,000 airchecks I've heard, I still haven't heard the one I want."

Bulls###.

FRANZMAN

Post by FRANZMAN » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Chomen, I tend to agree with you but will ad that I believe these companies have zero intention of finding outside talent. They already have the position filled but for legal reasons must advertise (EOE). I say to employers, BE PROFESSIONAL! You posted it, now repond to my e-mail before I realize that I WILL NEVER WORK FOR SOMEONE WHO HANDLES THEIR AFFAIRS SO POORLY

jayester

Post by jayester » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:07 pm

Kudos to chomen for stepping up and telling it like it is. I have seen the same thing with recent positions being posted by Saga and wondered why they kept re-posting the same classified 5 times in-a-row.. I did not know that radio was rocket science, but I would probably bet that since the ball is in their court for hiring they can get top drawer for a lot less then even 5 years ago as you have pointed out a lot of us true professionals are on the beach. Of course, these "hiring junkies" could be a nervous lot, being careful not to hire someone who is more talented and therefore a natural candidate for THIER job. I actually had that happen to me a while back where the PD always kept looking over his shoulder. And even though I did not want his job at the time he saw my bigger market experience as a threat. Another reason too, could be all those HR people pulling their hair out trying to sort through all of the eligible candidates who probably flood their in boxes daily. Of course, these companies are probably offering a lot less than 5 years ago too.

kellybgood

Post by kellybgood » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:40 am

Wow the job market right now is nuts! That is all I'm going to say!

eggman

Post by eggman » Wed May 05, 2010 4:49 am

Copping an attitude and telling a PD how to do his job or when to hire someone is always a sure fire way to be hired, I'm thinking.

TommyGriffiths

Post by TommyGriffiths » Wed May 05, 2010 8:47 am

I should stay out of this, but I know for a FACT, that SAGA is interviewing very carefully, and taking their time to find the right person. Sure, there are plenty of extremely talented radio people out of work, but there is more CRAP out there than talent. Imagine placing an ad looking for talent and LITERALLY getting 600 responses! Understand how long it takes to cull through all those applicants, contact the viable candidates and then come to an agreement.
SAGA has a fine history of hiring and KEEPING talent for a long time. I did mornings on the same station for SAGA for almost 20 years. The miday guy on WAFX has been there for, what- 30-something years. My old partner has been there since 1995. You don't find talent and loyalty in a "couple of days". It takes time...

Tommy Griffiths
http://www.TommyGriffiths.com

coakev

Post by coakev » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Im sure it's not the same deal, but reminds me of a station in the 80's with a 35k pd gig, but they blew out the PD every 6 months and did a 6 month "exhaustive" search.

jayester

Post by jayester » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:19 am

Interesting thread chomen has going here. Re-posting an ad puts you back at the top of the heap where you are seen first. Also, it would appear that potential employers do not have the same 14 day restriction to post their ad again like those who post in situations wanted. As far as stations promoting from within, that is how it used to be done. I remember applying for that coveted over night shift that would always lead the way to a promotion to day time. Today, with voice tracking, who has overnight positions anymore except in the bigger markets? And have station owners stooped so low as to now advertise for "studio caretaker"? (See jobs classified posted 7/21/10)
I am still recovering from the belittling title of "board op!"