Advice needed for a British man in America!

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
davidcreasey

Advice needed for a British man in America!

Post by davidcreasey » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:26 am

Hello All!

I am the producer of the second largest country music show in the UK, for the BBC.

I am 24 years old, and a huge fan of country music. It is quite uncommon in the UK for somebody my age to be into country music, as the music is not particular popular here at the moment. I have a great knowledge and passion for country, from the 1920's right through to the modern day. My show broadcasts across the entire south of England, and until recently was presented by Dave Cash, a huge name in British Broadcasting.

Here in the UK there is not a great demand for country, and that is a big problem for me. I want to get into American Radio! I would like your advice, for a British person getting into radio in the US. Can it be done? Is there a likelihood that a station would take a British person, who would have to emigrate?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated! What are the best stations to be aiming for?

Dave.

zebster

Re: Advice needed for a British man in America!

Post by zebster » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:31 am

I can't imagine a Country PD that wouldn't have a problem with an English Accent.
You'd have much better luck in the States in Alternative. Because of the accent.
Not fair. But that's show-biz.
Zeb

sportsradio11

Post by sportsradio11 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Apply apply apply! I think you have a unique angle with the backstory of being a country fan from the UK.

I've had a lot of success by reaching out to Program Directors specifically and just asking if you get an aircheck critiqued. A lot of times you can follow up with them about future job opportunities. That said, it takes a lot of patience waiting to hear back, for most of us!

weinish

Post by weinish » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:58 pm

The Program Director who hires you to do country, with your accent, is someone who sees things differently, and is someone you want to work for.

People LOVE knowing that people unlike themselves also like what they do. Almost makes them feel justified.

If I ran a country station, and you sent me a demo that showed you were a) knowledgeable but b) witty/funny/charming, I would hire you in a second.

Unfortunately for you I a) hate country music b) am not a program director.

I would send my stuff to someone at NASH FM.

zinger7

Post by zinger7 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:14 am

I am an OM for a 5 station group and would love to hear your stuff! I look for Quick Wit, Talent, The ability to connect with listeners, a love of Country Music and living the Lifestyle. Your voice is rather secondary if important at all! Send your package to:

jeff@lmnocbroadcasting.com

If we like it we will talk!