Small, Privately Owned Stations Rule

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
fostereading

Small, Privately Owned Stations Rule

Post by fostereading » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:53 pm

I listen to a lot of radio, as part of my teaching job allows me that flexibility.
I have noticed that the larger conglomerate radio station's throw a lot of money at gimmicks and promotional games at listeners, while smallers, privately owned syations do not.

I listen to a station in Cedar Rapids, Iowa (KMRY) that seems to focus on the radio people rather than the gimmicks. It feels "real" to me.

I think the big conglomerates get too big and forget about the listeners. All we want is sincerity.

Janet Foster

countryboy

Re: Small, Privately Owned Stations Rule

Post by countryboy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:58 am

There are thousands of small, independently owned radio stations in this country. Also lots of stations owned by radio corporations. There was a time when the biggest companies in the world, like General Electric and RCA, owned radio stations. Not any more. The big radio companies may seem big, but they're a lot smaller than the multi-national companies that used to own radio stations.

chris57

Post by chris57 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:58 pm

I work for a small privately owned radio station and find it very enjoyable.

ketrop

Post by ketrop » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:18 am

Valuable tips we can find here.

corneo

Post by corneo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:41 am

Big companies can buy in large quantity's and split the cost between their different stations as give-a-ways. Small stations can't. So they focus on personal relationship with listeners to build their audience.

zinger7

Post by zinger7 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:30 am

I too work for a small town small group of Stations and this is the best time I have ever had in Radio. 1000's of listeners and they are very involved in our stations. Beautiful studios, Fantastic Station Vehicles and Fabulous Promotions. I will never work for I-Heart or Cumulus or any Corporate Radio again. I-Heart in the newest round of FIRINGS....Let go a major talent in a Major Market............offhandedly Killing Radio.... One station at a time!!!