Bill Figenshu

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
pbergin

Bill Figenshu

Post by pbergin » Wed May 05, 2010 6:08 am

Check out the Power Player interview this week. Fig hits the nail on the head!

Some of you may be aware that he was a contributor on this forum. Many did not agree with his views, but I'll bet no one who will read what he has to say here will disagree.

robnokshus

Re: Bill Figenshu

Post by robnokshus » Thu May 06, 2010 8:39 am

I agree with a lot of what he says and have in the past. However, I wonder how much of it is lip service and how much of what he says he actually puts into practice. He makes a strong case for content several times throughout the article, yet he concedes that PD's programming multiple stations simply cannot devote enough time and energy to see that all of their stations win and that's just how it is. Well, it's that way because he accepts that it's that way.

KMJ has been number one in Fresno for as long as I can remember (about 25-years). It is an institution. Y101, which is another Peak station in Fresno is all but un-listenable. Voice tracked all day, no musical continuity, no real position or focus, it easily qualifies as one of the worst radio stations I've ever heard. I would imagine that if this station had a hands on Program Director with an incentive to succeed it could certainly sound better, perform better in the ratings and subsequently make more money. You cannot cut your way to growth. You have to invest in talented people and then let them do their jobs.

Content=People.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Thu May 06, 2010 8:53 am

I worked at Viacom during Fig's reign there, and I remember him as a pretty content-centric guy. Given his druthers, I believe he'd push for relevant content every time.

It's early in the game for this endeavor. It is worth watching though.

KaseyKruz

Post by KaseyKruz » Fri May 07, 2010 5:43 am

I have to agree with rob about Y101. After Peak took over, Y101 took a drastic turn for the worse when they let go of the talent and started the "tagging" of the songs with a canned female voice. HORRIBLE! I don't know who's idea that was, but it has to be one of the most ill-conceived notions in recent radio history. Then they added some voice trackers and the train wreck went from bad to even worse with the "tagging" followed by a different female voice.
This is not even to mention one of the better stations of the group, Mega 97.9. After the higher paid talent were shown the door, it seemed they couldn't keep good talent. David Caudillo took over for Crazy Man Woody Pena, but was soon out. Both guys are extremely talented entertainers that pulled numbers, so that move didn't make sense, at least to me, in a rating perspective.
Kiss Country is basically the only good country in town so no real challenges keeping listeners there, but talent also got let go.
KMJ isn't hard to keep on top with the lack of any alternative talker, either progressive or conservative. There was a progressive talker that didn't fair to well and was axed as soon as Peak took over.
Over all, the Fresno Peak group is nothing more, or less, than any other corporate radio group; cut, cut, cut and expect to grow.
Sad that so much talent was shown the door.

daver

Post by daver » Sat May 08, 2010 4:49 pm

The first station I'm aware of to use "sing tags" is Jerry Lee's B101 in Philly. Jerry and his programmers at the B are very research focused and would not put anything on their radio station without having a very clear idea of it being the right thing to do.

Song tags take care of the #1 complaint female listeners have asked for for years...that EVERY song be identified. I would imagine the station you cite in Fresno is using "song tags" to serve their listener for that same reason.

I do agree that the station lacks focus and is in dire need of it's own Program Director. Hopefully, Fig will get the blessing to install one soon.