Rusty Walker Interview

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
pbergin

Rusty Walker Interview

Post by pbergin » Wed May 19, 2010 11:43 am

I've known Rusty for 25 years or so. I've worked for stations he's consulted on several occasions. If there's one guy in the entire nation that understands country, it's Rusty. This is important because, at present, country is the only format breaking new music and artists. It's the new Top-40.

I disagree with his emphasis on younger listeners. My experience tells me that radio will not be an attractive option for them in the future. The good news is that most will, after they reach their upper twenties, start listening to radio. I see that all the time with younger people today, including my own kids.

But he's bang on everywhere else. I especially like his overview of research and the realization that research only identifies a potential market, it does NOT define a product. In other words, you cannot research yourself a radio station, you can only identify a potential audience. Programming the station toward that audience is a distinct and separate skill.

If you want to get a real-world view of what radio should be doing, read Rusty's comments.