The death of All Access

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jerimiah

Re: The death of All Access

Post by jerimiah » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Right on Joel:

The site contains more interesting stuff than I have time to read.

One of the best. The PD Chronicles. This guy is great!

Jerry Gordon KNUU Las Vegas

walteria

Post by walteria » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:17 pm

I've read a lot of comments here and could lean either way, but I'm not here to do that. All I want is when a station or network says their equal opportunity, they need to be researched and be sure that they are truly equal opportunity! I'm over 40 and I'm tired of the age discrimination. If I can get just an interview at this point or even be considered for a position and these people would take the time to listen to my qualifications and I am well qualified that's all I ask. I'd hate to start naming and shaming stations that aren't equal opportunity and lately there are quite a few!

boing

Post by boing » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:28 am

Always liked you Jim. Always hated the viciousness that some comments generated so from that standpoint this set up is fine. Wish that the personal stuff would cease and we could all agree that we share the passion for the industry. Halltalk and J.N. have battled for years, but at the heart of it the interest in the industry is at the base, and certainly there is common ground there.

Some of us hold the belief that Live, local based content is the key. Others consolidation and innovation translates to survivability. The core is the passion that eminates from all of us to keep the industry viable.

Many great people are long gone, whether from major market powerhouses, or unrated market local popguns, and it is the listener who is the poorer for all the lost passion. This is where corporate radio misses the boat. Radio is a communications industry that cut far too many communicators.

Not everybody needs Rush, Phil, Tesh, and the multitudes of syndie voices, but they do need the local connection. If I want my daily Rush I can find him. I just don't need to hear him on 6 different spots on the dial as I scan across.

nicoledc109

Post by nicoledc109 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:47 am

jdenver wrote:As publisher I got a chuckle out of this. AllAccess.com has never been stronger! Our sessions are through the roof, metrics are way up since our launch of the new format in October 2009 with more folks coming to the site and participating than ever before on a daily basis!

Registration is at an all time high -- just under 120,000 users and growing daily.

The reason why our forums have less postings is that we have give you, the reader, the opportunity to comment on what's going on right below each story instead of just the forums. Our research showed that this would be a more engaging social experience -- and we were correct in doing this judging by the response.

Not every story is worth commenting on, so some stories are more hot-button and evoke more of an emotional response than others.

The Net Talk Board -- unlike other sites who rely on message boards for the majority of their traffic -- has never been the focal point of AllAccess. It's always been just a feature.

Net News is our focus -- and our Net News coverage has never been deeper -- far surpassing any other source in number of stories and depth of coverage.

Radio, considering the amount of media/digital competition, is holding its own, all things considered. The state of jobs however does not reflect that as so many stations are understaffed and as a result are under-performing. Chalk that up to bad deals that operators made and are still scrambling to meet debt covenants. But there are some stations that are adding back live dayparts, so there are some small signs of growth in these tough economic times.

AllAccess.com continues to be healthy, thriving, and the number one destination for the radio and music industry with the most up to date content -- and more of it. Like a winning station with many features, AllAccess.com gives you more reasons to visit and engage, than just one show, or in this case message boards.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support! -- Joel Denver, President/Publisher
Thanks for sharing.

onairla

Post by onairla » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:03 am

Allaccess is the one site we all come back to, and use as an authority in Radio. If Joel would have us, we would bore his children... I mean, were boring with children, eh, i mean i hear guys can have babys now. uhh.. ah f-it.

labambaman

Post by labambaman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:19 pm

So i've been reading this rather interesting debate during my shift here at the station, and I gotta' say; I wouldn't consider this place, nor radio as a whole, dead. Radio has taken on some tough times, but it's still going pretty strong here in D.C. So let's go ahead and pop my forum cheery, shall we?

As for Mr. Nyland's comment of radio being underpaid and unstable and having massive layoffs; i don't really see that here in my market. People will get laid off from jobs in any profession if they aren't good enough and someone else can come along that will do it better, and judging from your tone I'd venture to bet that's what happened to you. I could be wrong, but you seem to have a vendetta against the radio industry for rather odd reasons. Our #1 station here pays it's lowest ranking people over 30k a year, and I'd say that's not too shabby.

As for this site being dead, I'd say this thread is more than enough proof that it's not. People are here, but like Joel said; the forums aren't the primary place of discussion anymore. Yahoo is a good example of this. They have forums for things, but they allow people to comment directly to news stories and that keeps the forums from getting cluttered. I'm a fan of this place the way it is. It's laid out with easy access in mind, and I can find any new story or ranking or what-have-you without any trouble.

Joel; keep up the good work.

- Spencer

michey

Post by michey » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:33 pm

Don't be a hater. Negative energy never helps anyone or anything.

OpenMike

Post by OpenMike » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:51 am

Leave Joel alone ! It is important that the death of Radio be reported for history's sake.

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:10 am

Halltalk:

The only thing you're going to get back to is playing with your Pud. Studio and show. :lol:

ejradio

Post by ejradio » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:36 pm

As someone who has only been in radio for 3 years but recently laid off, i can attest that radio as a whole is NOT dead, i agree with the statement if your not in the industry why are you still obsessed with it? I LOVE radio its in my blood and yes I, just like everyone else gets frustrated because you don't here any response from the multitude of packages you send out....but if yo don't like radio, don't want to be a part of radio, stay away from anything radio.....I always remember the one thing i learned when I started...you don't get in to radio to become rich, you get into radio because you love it.

Just my 2 cents worth.