The death of All Access

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
lefsa

The death of All Access

Post by lefsa » Fri May 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Been away for months. The only radio I do anymore is play by play for a local station and didn't expect anything until fall but I ran into the owner at the store. We talked a bit and it shook my curiosity so I thought I'd pop in and take a peek at All Access.

Based on past history, I expected the same folks making the same attacks and complaints that they have always made. I expected the regulars to be in the same spitting matches. I expected the same laments about the state of radio and the same rebuttals. I expected little in the way of depth but I did expect the same lively exchange.

What a surprise.....

For the first time in my memory of All Access it is the things I never expected it to be - sterile, boring, lifeless, dead.....this place has withered on the vine. Even Halltalk is no where to be seen or heard.

How appropriate, considering the state of radio.

Either you killed it with this new format, Joel, or the place is finally catching up with the dismal state of the business.

robnokshus

Re: The death of All Access

Post by robnokshus » Mon May 24, 2010 11:41 am

Hello Mr Nyland,

Yeah, the new setup just doesn't seem to lend itself to the raucus exchange of old and I would say your observation is accurate; it is mirroring the rather stale state of terrestrial radio. Halltalk still pops in from time to time (as evidenced by his charming response to a spam item in Net Talk) but the Country Boy and Hall's favorite whipping boy, Warpfactor have been conspicuously absent. I have a feeling however that your post may be just the lure to bring him to the surface. Have fun.

lefsa

Post by lefsa » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:14 pm

"Mr. Nyland"? Wow, in two words, you just extended more respect than I think I've ever received here - lol! Not sure I deserve it. In any case, I appreciate your comments. I actually hope Halltalk just leaves this alone - the reason I left here months ago was the exchange was just too bitter and conflicted - it really had no point anymore. Nothing productive or even entertaining was coming out of it, so the last thing I want is to lure him into anything.

I was just commenting on how stale and lifeless this place seems to have gotten, especially after being gone so long. I think you are correct when you say it reflects the nature of today's radio and I just find that rather sad.

jdenver

Post by jdenver » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:13 am

As publisher I got a chuckle out of this. AllAccess.com has never been stronger! Our sessions are through the roof, metrics are way up since our launch of the new format in October 2009 with more folks coming to the site and participating than ever before on a daily basis!

Registration is at an all time high -- just under 120,000 users and growing daily.

The reason why our forums have less postings is that we have give you, the reader, the opportunity to comment on what's going on right below each story instead of just the forums. Our research showed that this would be a more engaging social experience -- and we were correct in doing this judging by the response.

Not every story is worth commenting on, so some stories are more hot-button and evoke more of an emotional response than others.

The Net Talk Board -- unlike other sites who rely on message boards for the majority of their traffic -- has never been the focal point of AllAccess. It's always been just a feature.

Net News is our focus -- and our Net News coverage has never been deeper -- far surpassing any other source in number of stories and depth of coverage.

Radio, considering the amount of media/digital competition, is holding its own, all things considered. The state of jobs however does not reflect that as so many stations are understaffed and as a result are under-performing. Chalk that up to bad deals that operators made and are still scrambling to meet debt covenants. But there are some stations that are adding back live dayparts, so there are some small signs of growth in these tough economic times.

AllAccess.com continues to be healthy, thriving, and the number one destination for the radio and music industry with the most up to date content -- and more of it. Like a winning station with many features, AllAccess.com gives you more reasons to visit and engage, than just one show, or in this case message boards.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support! -- Joel Denver, President/Publisher

jayester

Post by jayester » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:53 pm

Write on Joel! Kudos to your and your excellent staff and contributing members!

kellybgood

Post by kellybgood » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Nice try Radio-Info ... this is a pretty sad attempt considering all your site is lacking..

lefsa

Post by lefsa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Whatever you say, Joel. Of course, the fact you make money on the site leads me to believe your opinion may just a tad suspect. Checked out the comments on the stories - dry as toast. But if you think turning All Access into the NPR message board (yawn!), feel free - it's your site. I'd simply make one more comment and one request - first, I stand by what I said. this site is drab, uncreative, and lifeless. It mirrors current radio beautifully so maybe you've got it exactly correct. second, if Net Talk is simply a side feature, put it out of it's misery. I feel like I'm at a racetrack watching as a horse breaks it leg. If you love the new format, fine. I actually don't care that much because I am out of full time radio and rarely come here anymore. But if you're going to cut the balls off nettalk, just let it die, and concentrate on the gang busters traffic you have elsewhere.

rowdyron

Post by rowdyron » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:09 am

By the way lefsa... I like how you say you've been out of the industry for months. Apparently things are going very well for you.

teamwork

Post by teamwork » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:28 am

Apparently many have been trained through cable news or something that conflict is the seed of everything. Lack of conflict is NOT boring. Bright ,creative ideas ARE exciting. I guess perspective is everything but I think you have a great thing going here and greatly appreciate the service.

bmedcalf

Post by bmedcalf » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:49 am

Dead?! Hardly. I've been using it as a key source to keep up with the biz for almost a decade now. Ever since a former Kiss 95.1 overnigher (Romeo) turned me onto it (Before he took that gig in Charlotte, he worked in Evansville). I can keep up with today's new music, hear about what's going on in the biz, check out the ratings of stations, and maybe possibly luck into one of the job openings posted so I won't be on the beach anymore, doing random parties and club DJing just to keep my sanity. Seems like the person claiming that allaccess.com is dead is a drama queen, plain and simple. This site still rocks and I'm all smiles. :mrgreen: :D