Do people get jobs from the "Situations Wanted" section?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
fmantac27

Do people get jobs from the "Situations Wanted" section?

Post by fmantac27 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:06 pm

I was just wondering if anyone had gotten any responses from PD's or, better yet, a gig, from a posting they made in that section.

Thanks!

eggman

Re: Do people get jobs from the "Situations Wanted" section?

Post by eggman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:18 am

It's just a hunch, but I think most of the 'Sit Wanted' ads get perused by other air talent, trying to see how good - or bad - the competition is.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:44 am

"Trying Canada" probably will not work. I know, I lived there for years. Given the choice between hiring a native Cana'jun, and going through the process of obtaining legal resident status for a Yank, they'll go with a Canadian every time.

The immigration issue is the main thing. It's not easy, or cheap to bring a yank in anymore. It's almost impossible for an individual to do it by himself. There are only certain professions that will qualify one for unsponsored admittance, and I don't think DJ is one of them.

maxwulf

Post by maxwulf » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:45 am

That's too bad about the Canadian immigration rules. I checked out the site and they do indeed have some very good sounding openings listed.

Maybe we can sneak across the southern border and work in Mexico?

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:38 am

maxwulf wrote: Maybe we can sneak across the southern border and work in Mexico?
You'll be thrown in jail for 10 years if you get caught in the country illegally. And don't bother asking for an interpreter either, gringo. Ironic, ain't it?

steveo

Post by steveo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:30 am

I have tried for many weeks. I have yet to get work because I posted in the situations wanted ads. So the answer is "no."

arichard21

Post by arichard21 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:43 am

You can;t expect to have a job handed to you, especially in this business and more importantly in this economy. Anyone who is worth a salt knows that in this biz you have to hunt down jobs and bust ass to get them. they are never going to come looking for you (at least not the ones that are any good).

maxwulf

Post by maxwulf » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:00 am

I completely agree. However, that being said as a program director I have hired from the "Situations Wanted" secition several times. So it is possible to get a gig this way. But it has to be just one of the many tools you use. Don't just post your ad and sit back and wait for the offers to roll in, because that probably won't happen - especially the way the biz is today. Make sure you are pursuing every other possible lead.

If you do post make sure that every 4 or 5 days you re-post your ad to get it at the top of the que. And freshen it up. There are so many very well written ads in the "Situations Wanted" catagory, almost always much better than the "Job Openings". Of course they have to be - you are selling yourself and trying to attract the attention of that one PD, OM or GM that has the perfect position just for you.

I know that when I posted an ad in the "Job Openings" catagory I could expect up to a hundred replys - even for a local board op position!

TheMaxPower

Post by TheMaxPower » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:58 am

I'm doubting people are getting gigs from the Job Openings never mind getting jobs out of Situations Wanted. Yet useless humans of Jersey Shore are earning 30grand each, per episode. Circling the drain we are.

walteria

Post by walteria » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Just hope the draft passes by Congress then those of you 18-42 will have a job and then I'll have one of those openings left by you while you serve in the military! Then the GM's will have no excuse but to hire me and a few other veterans out there. A lot of us served this country so the LIberal GM's can discriminate against us! Prove to me you're EOE GM's! Grant an interview and I'll be happy!