Airchecks

Got a great idea? Need a great idea? Share it! Please, no freelance, VO/Imaging or other business plugs!
ejradio

Airchecks

Post by ejradio » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:35 pm

I know I have alot of Radio PD's that can read this....can you do me a favor and tell me what it is that you look for when you are listening to prospective employee airchecks? I am trying to improve myself and make me more marketable to future employers....thank you

guyster

Re: Airchecks

Post by guyster » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:48 pm

I will listen to hear true personality. Figure out what YOU do that makes you a better fit than a syndicated show or a voice-tracker. If a jock is merely reading liner cards, front-selling music, doing the weather, etc., they aren't doing much to stand out. Talk TO the listeners, not AT them.

Stay away from anything cliche, like calling Wednesday "Hump Day" or tired Lindsey Lohan jokes. I'd keep the aircheck brief, three minutes max. It should be tightly edited. A PD doesn't need to hear more than a second of a song that a jock is coming out of or going into. Consider the aircheck a calling card. If a PD likes what he or she hears, they will probably ask for a tape of an entire show before they call you for an interview. They will want to know that your "best-of" is something you can live up to on a regular basis.

Hope this helps! Good luck in your job search.

ejradio

Post by ejradio » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:44 am

Thank you for the advice. Does the format matter? For example I have an aircheck from a classic rock format but I am applying for a country station..should I send the classic rock or create a country demo?

tysonradcliffe

Post by tysonradcliffe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:29 pm

I have found that your on air style comes from your format. CHR and Hot Country can call for quick phoners and bits, but AC is smoother and slower. If you have a high pitch voice you might not fit on a Classic Rocker...It all comes down to what the PD wants in the end.

fmrockclassicrock

Post by fmrockclassicrock » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:49 pm

Delivery is everything. I'm on the beach, but I've programmed a few Rock-Classic Rock stations .
I'm okay with basic airchecks. I will look past liner card airchecks, simply because they're following formatics (Important for any jock..follow formatics). I'm very much in touch & connected with whomever sent me an aircheck from their station. I already know what it's gonna sound like as soon as I click on their mp3. If a jock has a phoner that demonstrates his~her personality, I can usually make the determination on whether or not the individual would be a good fit . Depends on what format you're into. From a Rock-Classic Rock approach, you have to live this lifesyle; know the music . If not, listeners will have a field day with you. Music intensive-short breaks. This applys outside morning drive of course. I'm also willing to bend formatics 7-Mid daypart .