Radio airplay of multiple hits from same album?

Got a great idea? Need a great idea? Share it! Please, no freelance, VO/Imaging or other business plugs!
raisingjake

Radio airplay of multiple hits from same album?

Post by raisingjake » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:52 pm

When an artist releases an album that has multiple potential hits, how is it that only one of those songs at a time gets radio focus? Every radio station around the country (even world?) plays hit song #1 first.

Then two or three months later they all start playing hit song #2 and so on.

What is controlling the airplay staging of each of those successive hit songs? How does this work?

linda794

Re: Radio airplay of multiple hits from same album?

Post by linda794 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:47 pm

I'm not a radio industry professional, but this is my understanding of the process: The record label and artist choose a single together. It's then sent to radio stations and an "add" date is set for the song to be added to station playlists. The song moves up the current chart as long as it gains spins and audience impression. Once the song peaks, begins to move down or goes recurrent, a new single is selected by the record label and artist and the process starts over. Generally, only one single at a time is promoted and pushed to radio... probably to prevent it from competing against itself on the chart.

whog

Post by whog » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:12 am

I am a Radio Programmer so let me try to explain as best I can...Radio Stations use Several Current/ReCurrent and Recent Gold/Gold Catagories. When a Song first comes out it goes into a Light Current Catagory which is normally around 3 plays a day,then into Medium Current which increases the number of Plays to around 4-5 plays per day and the Hot or Power Current Catagory as the song reaches the Top 20 or so will increase spins to around 8-10 spins per day (Depending on how Tight or Loose the station Programs) generally when the song has reaches Top 10 Status most station swill move the song into a Hot Or Power ReCurrent Catagory which backs spins off slightly and then the station will move the song into a ReCurrent catagory to lighten spins even more lastly the song moves into a recent gold catagory....Thus you might have an Artist like Jason Aldean (for Example) have a Newer Song in Medium Current,a more recent hit in Power Recurrents,and a few others each in ReCurrent and Recent Gold.Pretty Much all of your Current Based Formats from Country to Alt Rock to CHR use similar systems the main difference being a CHR might play Power Currents every 70 Minutes where many Country Stations are anywhere from 2 and a half hours (Tightest) to generally 3 and a half hour rotation times.Alt Rockers are mostly somewhere in between...maybe 1 hour 45 to Two Hours 15.

raisingjake

Post by raisingjake » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Thank you for the replies.

Wow, I don't understand how a record company can instruct thousands of radio stations to start playing song X on a given day. How is that possible?

And how does a song move up in "spins" when most radio stations these days don't take requests?

It's apparent that I have a lot to learn. Is there any "Radio for Dummies" anywhere that explains how radio distribution and programming actually works?

linda794

Post by linda794 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:39 am

The radio impact or add date is how labels "instruct" programmers to begin spinning or add a song to their rotation. Some songs get spins and adds before that date, most come later as a song starts charting.

Spin increases are influenced by a number of things like chart position, special deals (where songs are put into a high rotation for a set period of time), radio feedback polls, artist promo stuff (like free concerts), test spin results, industry publication advertisements and events, social media (like Twitter and Facebook), etc.

My info comes from reading music forums and blogs for the past couple years. I don't know how reliable it is, but it keeps me entertained. A "Radio for Dummies" book but would be helpful, lol.