Do people really listen to internet radio station

Bring on your ideas about how to harness the power of the Internet.

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

mockspeed

Re: Do people really listen to internet radio station

Post by mockspeed » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:28 am

What gets me is how many online stations (especially run by radio people) are basically copies of what is available on terrestrial radio. A major market morning guy told me recently he was getting funding together to do an Internet station, I asked "what format?" "Oh Classic Hits-70's-80's'90's". Seriously does the world need another Top 40, Hip Hop, AC. Alternative, Classic Rock, Classic Hits or Country station?. Probably not unless you have some uniqueness to the product. With all the available choices people keep thinking they can somehow do a mainstream format a little better enough to gain traction in a digital universe. It doesn't work that way. I don't know how many online stations I've heard with the same type of sweepers, sounders, production values and music. I am of the mind these people really don't know anything outside of these parameters,. Another guy well known iin the Southwest was looking for jingles to be produced, and reverb for the mic channel, The people who succeed with their own station will do something unique and marketable, not copy old concepts that are meaningless today.

dwc151

Post by dwc151 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:01 pm

It's called playing radio.

corneo

Post by corneo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:39 am

I have a friend who tried the "streaming radio broadcast" thing and after 1 year, he sold the website to another company at a lost.

His biggest problem was: getting people to listen. (I think it was bad website design and poor management.) Since I was one of many who said this idea isn't going to work, he won't talk to me so I can't get any better details.

I can say it was talk radio, most/all of the shows weren't carried on any terrestrial radio and their show subjects were "tea party" programing. When radio professionals tried to help him out, he ignored their advice. He had $0 budget on advertising and had hope that word of mouth would create listeners. He did lose a lot of money on this venture.

Myself, I think he did it as a personal hobby with hopes it would grow.

texroj80

Post by texroj80 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:22 pm

I work for an FM radio station, but when I'm in my car, I listen either to Pandora or Sirius. Most offices, and even some stores use some kind of Internet radio because they're usually commercial-free. I think it's completely possible to make money in Internet radio, but you have to be a little more creative. Sponsorships, websites ads, social media, and a whole host of other ideas will come into play. I've been considering starting up my own internet radio station, but as of lately, I've been too busy.

blove1250

Post by blove1250 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:20 pm

I think were moving in the right direction World Wide Core Radio Is the 1st Internet Radio station to become a BDS detected station (CORE - ST) we are a HipHop and R&B Station With Over 100,000 downloads of are app the website is under construction right now.(www.worldwidecoreradio.com) I also have a Gospel Station and a Urban AC station we are located at 24681 Nw Highway Southfield MI 48075

Brian "B-Love"Horn

corneo

Post by corneo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:09 am

Streaming audio may be up until somebody makes a "home entertainment system" that allows streaming audio I don't see it going too much farther in the future.

Car makers are helping out by installing systems that receive streaming but more is needed. Streaming ad don't generate much in sales mainly because businesses doesn't listen. Satellite radio works because they have a system that receives it's signal. But they are putting themselves out of business because of their pricing.

arlington80

Post by arlington80 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:56 pm

I just checked out bullseyeradio.com - very cool. Early 60s songs that I was NOT familiar with, including an early rendition of MEMPHIS by the Beatles from 1962...listening to this station is an 'adventure'

makemesound25

Post by makemesound25 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:02 am

Almoust everyday I'm sitting on http://tunein.com/ or http://online.radio111.com/ ;)

chairmanwow

Post by chairmanwow » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:46 am

oWOW has been on the air for a year and a half with a hybrid Triple A format. We call it "Timeless Rock: the sweet spot between classic rock and indie rock.' We have live announcers (all former well-known terrestrial radio personalities) from 9 AM to 9 PM, weekdays; 9AM -12MID Saturdays, and 10 AM- 8 PM, Sundays. We do continuous music in the other dayparts. Our "morning drive" is 9AM - 6 PM - at work/in store. We are advertiser -driven and currently run a maximum 9 units per hour. We are involved with co-sponsorships with music festivals, club nights, and charitable and lifestyle events. We average 35K-to 40K+ unique listeners per month. Yes, some agencies and businesses get it. Others have been placing advertising the same way for 20-30 years. You know the kind. And, yes, we did go through much of first year battling the "Wayne's World" image the terrestrial account executives attempted to pin us as. No different from the early days of FM radio when skeptical clients referred to the platform as Find Me. Though we can be heard worldwide, we are concentrating on the the Cleveland market and the surrounding 17 counties, which collectively make us the 18th largest advertising market in the U.S. Some labels and artists oWOW, others don't but the doubters are being won over quickly. We are heavily promoting Bluetooth at home and in vehicle. Nobody carries a radio around them anymore but everyone has a smartphone. I also trust our streaming analysis more than I would Nielsen's PPM. We know how many actual streams we are delivering. SoundExchange does as well since we have to pay royalties per song per listener. The cost of doing business. Beats owning transmitters, towers, and leasing or ownership costs. We ascertain basic listener analysis from social media.

edglass01

Post by edglass01 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:22 pm

well i owned 2 highly successful internet station from 1999-2013 we hadfrom 99-08 electriceyeradio.com we did over 100,000 listeners per week.400,000-500,000 per month.turned it into sales grossing $300,000 per yr.we were a hybrid classic rock/alternative/hard rock station in massachusetts.we had everyone on for interviews you can think of from rock stars,to celebs,to sports stars.had a full on air staff including partimers,and had a full sales staff we were 24/7 operating as any station.i started w/nothing money wise,and bult it to 100,000 listeners in a yr.sold it in 08 to someone who changed the format,lost every sale,and killed it 6 mos.later.i had moved to chicago,and built station #2 godsofrockradio which lasted from 2010 to 2013 we had over a million listeners using the same strategy in the 1st month,and built from there.unfortunately i had an investor there who screwed up the business end,and we went out.we had that one located in chicago.i say it works when done by people like me who program w/passion,and give shows w/that same passion.money can be made,but only when you have listeners in the thousands,and expand your audience base.i was considered an expert at this cause i did it not once,but twice successfully.have had to go back to radio,but would jump all over this if i were given another shot at it.so yes people really do listen when you give them what they want,and not crap.we did.do any of you?do you take requests?we did,and played them right away no waiting like a radio station does.do you truly care what your audience thinks?we ran polls all the time asking about what we were playing,what they wanted to hear,interviews,etc.that gave us credibility w/our audience do you have that w/yours?that's what makes you successful.do any of you do that?i can turn any station around w/my methods. am free to consult.you all might want to listen.i actually have theexperience,and have seen it all.thanks,and please feel free to contact me at my email [email protected] thanks,great question.hope i helped answer it.eglass