How Do I Create an Internet Radio Station

Bring on your ideas about how to harness the power of the Internet.

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

revevilunion51

How Do I Create an Internet Radio Station

Post by revevilunion51 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:28 am

Hi, My Name is Anthony Bartell, and I am looking to become a radio program director. For many years I've Been creating radio playlists and I've been praised for those things.

I'd like to start a internet radio station, but I don't know how, can you please teach me?

I'd like to play hard rock and metal from the 2000s, 2010s, and the current time frame. I'd like to play artists like Periphery, Nothing More, Highly Suspect, Beartooth, Starset, Islander, Gemini Syndrome, Twelve Foot Ninja, Code Orange, Aeges, Fire from the Gods, Wild Throne, Silver Snakes, Nothing but Thieves, Turnstile, Crobot, Sons of Texas, Hacktivist, Motionless in White, Dinosaur Pile-Up, Devour the Day, Young Guns, Kyng, As Lions, Dead Letter Circus, Through Fire, Like a Storm, From Ashes to New, Radkey, Crown the Empire, Black Map, and Red Sun Rising.

2000s artists I would like to play include Nonpoint, Trapt, Mastodon, Killswitch Engage, Wolfmother, Skindred, Karnivool, Death from Above 1979, Lamb of God, Kottonmouth Kings, You Me at Six, Black Stone Cherry, Glassjaw, Trivium, Thousand Foot Krutch, and Down.

I hope you get my message and I hope you reply if you got an answer, thanks

corneo

Re: How Do I Create an Internet Radio Station

Post by corneo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Short version of an answer.

Internet Radio Station is called "streaming radio/audio."

What you need:
Some type of player (to play the songs) and broadcast on streaming audio.
Pay for streaming audio server. (Try shoutcast they're cheap) There are many companies to choose from.
Buy a license to replay songs. (artists want their royalties)
Website for you to play the songs on and people to come to.

The big cost factors:
The music license, not expensive but you should get it. (artists want their royalties)
Streaming server - monthly charge. Pay up front.
Advertising you site so people will come to you. This may break your bank account.
Good computers to run everything.

The up/down side:
It's fun to try and learn from.
It's not free for you.
If you make it pass 1 year, your good and most likely broke.
There are over 800K streaming audio stations on the net in the US alone.
Nobody advertises on streaming audio and if someone tell you they make money, they're lying.
Search the net and read. Nobody is going to teach you what to do.

kenu02

Post by kenu02 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 am

Hi, I can help you create one. You don't need to pay for server host, you can have one for free, take a look at listen2myradio.com All you need to have is a couple of software, a nice player and a broadcasting software like Altacast. and its all freeware.

kenu02

Post by kenu02 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:08 am

checkout my station here http://uaceahub.myl2mr.com

chatzinc

Post by chatzinc » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:37 am

Hello All,
I just joined this forum and this thread caught my eye.
I have been building radio stations and chat sites for people for over a decade and as Corneo said License is the key factor. Getting caught can cost you big time, depending on your country laws.
Kenou02 give you an example of how to do it free and I hope you have a lot of friends to listen.
Looking at Free Webs sites with all the adverts just turns people away.
For the main, it has to be a hobby you can afford or once your making or trying to make money the royalties jump in the licensing to huge amounts.
Most hosting providers will set you up and take no responsibility for the content you relay, it's all up to you. There are some and I know a couple, well the pricing will shock you to cover the stream and licensing.
They make it so easy for anyone to start an internet station nowadays but don't get caught.
As I said I just joined and anyone wanting help please contact me.
Cheers