Age discrimination - does it exist in our industry?

What are you doing to make money in these tough times? How are you motivating your staff?

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

theguitarist

Re: Age discrimination - does it exist in our industry?

Post by theguitarist » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:55 am

I agree with you.

lineikosen

Post by lineikosen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:37 pm

Another aspect that may not lend itself well to measurement is the fear that older adults have when applying for a job. “Who will hire me at my age?” is a frequently heard comment. The danger is that this thinking can very well become a self-fulfilling prophesy. Although at times such a comment reflects reality.

ajtavez

Post by ajtavez » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:53 pm

Ahhh - the days when the Program Director of the station I worked at would laugh off anyone over age 40. Thinking back, he also did that for anyone below the age of 23...women who didn't have a face for TV and "the full package" of qualifications - not to mention those effective enough to give him any type of competition. Typically, programming staff consisted of the well-rounded set of brown-nosers, morons who couldn't think on their feet, jocks that spend 50 seconds front-selling a song from 7 years ago and 25 seconds promoting their facebook pages... and women - with "all the right stuff." All that to say, yes. It happens. Illegal activity? Of course, all the time. That PD should have already been canned for payola 15 years ago, but perfect lives are for movies. What can you do about it? If I wanted to immerse myself in a sea of legal jargon and 5-7 years of mental torture while having to hear them bash me for any little thing...I'd take them to court. Fortunately, I have a lot more going for me than needing to go down that path - I'm sure you do as well. Take your losses when you find your gains outweigh the satisfaction of seeing their lives ruined. Believers in Karma would say, "they will get theirs one day." I will have to admit though, it is nice to see their numbers dive ever-so-steadily. :D Find an investor and start your own station!

hebert

Post by hebert » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:25 pm

"Pushy" FIRST IMPRESSIONS are bad regardless of position. BAD apples are uncovered and thrown out at this "introductory" time.

mabell

Post by mabell » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:17 am

ABSOLUTELY! I had a great run for about 30 years and now I can't even get in the door. I drove across the state for an interview a few years ago. When they invited me...I was the leading candidate. Resume'-great, aircheck- great, references-great. When I sat in the GM/s office he actually said, "this HotAC station will target young women and I just don't think you would be a good FACE for the station at live events" In other words, at 50, I was too old. I have worked at some of the best stations in the country in all size markets.(WAPE, WFOX, WBBQ) Wasn't good enough. Well, it turns out, that GM is gone and I've retired early. But, I sure miss that excitement and thrill of great live radio. I wish someone would buy a signal in a large market, hire some of us old jocks and show the voice-trackers how real radio should be done. Maybe...just maybe...some listeners would come back.
Mark Bell

ivanivan

Post by ivanivan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:32 am

ABSOLUTELY! Mark I agree with you !

https://vrender.com/

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:18 pm

mabell wrote: Maybe...just maybe...some listeners would come back.
Maybe, but they'd be older listeners. Which is why I have to ask if you've considered changing formats? There are lots of on air radio jobs for people over 50. You just have to let go of younger demos. Maybe do classic hits or classic rock. But I see a lot of grey hair on radio websites.

number1

Post by number1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Seabass is dead on point with the no pay jobs topic too. It seems that for those of us 55 and up our only hope is to track stations just outside the market or outside of market for pennies on the dollar compared to what we are used to making. I figured out if I could find 7 stations to track for a day I could live comfortably. Except for the whole insurance thing >:( that's an issue

hebert

Post by hebert » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 am

I have never known an advertiser to drop a station for inadequate talent. Having a conversation recently with an up and coming, younger (30-35) entrepreneur who has three successful local restaurants and a Craft Brewery and I, a PD/Personality in the market at the same station for 28 years, he shrugged me with a smile and said he would go with the smaller, lesser known station, because it's basically Free." Lesser jocks, weaker local presentation, lesser cume alright with this guy. I assume free meant lots of trade opportunity? A great reality today in this beautiful industry.

hebert

Post by hebert » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 am

I have never known an advertiser to drop a station for inadequate talent. Having a conversation recently with an up and coming, younger (30-35) entrepreneur who has three successful local restaurants and a Craft Brewery and I, a PD/Personality in the market at the same station for 28 years, he shrugged me with a smile and said he would go with the smaller, lesser known station, because it's basically Free." Lesser jocks, weaker local presentation, lesser cume alright with this guy. I assume free meant lots of trade opportunity? A great reality today in this beautiful industry.