HD Radio = HUGE DISASTER!!!

What equipment’s hot, and what’s not? Regulatory matters – discuss!

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

adam_bomb

HD Radio = HUGE DISASTER!!!

Post by adam_bomb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:24 pm

HD RADIO = HUGE DISASTER!!!!!

jhgvgregory

Re: HD Radio = HUGE DISASTER!!!

Post by jhgvgregory » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:30 pm

I dont see HD Radio going very far.

Seattleradiodude

Post by Seattleradiodude » Sun May 02, 2010 12:45 am

Someone needs to get a life...

ronnie2057

Post by ronnie2057 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:00 am

I disagree.

Evidence shows that HD Stations are popping up in the Arbitron Ratings in TOP MARKETS.

HD Radio has a chance, whereas AM Stereo met a dismal death over the fight with C_Quam and Khan Hazeltine systems. Receiver manufacturers didn't know what to do.

AM Stereo sounded AWESOME. I heard music on a C-Quam high quality radio and it was superb.

shannonmurdoch

Post by shannonmurdoch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:12 am

In response to ronnie2057, if your reference to HD STATIONS" showing up in the ratings means the MAIN CHANNEL, well, yes, they would be. If you're referring to HD2 and/or HD3 channels, those are most likely showing up in the ratings because they're being carried on ANALOG FM TRANSLATORS.
Those are the things broadcasters use to get their new programming on HD2 and HD3 into the ears of listeners because they know none of them have heard about HD Radio - and in the highly unlikely event that they have, it's the last thing on their wish list of things to buy. (If it's on their wish list at all.) Personally, i'm enjoying the "translator mania". All those extra signals are trashing the FM band, and work hand in hand with the splattering sidebands of HD radio to make FM pretty much like what the AM band became. Unlistenable trash.

fmdj1

Post by fmdj1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 am

Why is it that people who probably have never worked with HD Radio are so ready to declare it a huge disaster? I manage a radio station with an HD component and I feel it has been a huge success. Why? Well, we are a college based station who, several years ago lost the student aspect of the station in the name of survival. We could never afford the cost of adding a second station and reintroducing student radio on the main station would likely sink us. But when we added our HD station a year and a half ago, we were able to open a huge door for student involvement. It has been great and a growing number of people are able to hear them both online and with HD receivers. How is that a disaster? Going HD was a fraction of what a new station would have cost and we now serve our University and our community better than ever.
And we're not alone. Students and others are gaining access to airwaves in a way that has been missing for a long time. If stations do it right, they can use their HD stations to develop formats and hosts and hyper-serve their communities. No, HD radio is not a disaster. The way some companies choose to implement it is, but that is on a case by case basis and should not be extended to the whole.

shannonmurdoch

Post by shannonmurdoch » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:11 am

From a technological standpoint, it's a disaster. From a consumer acceptance standpoint, it's a disaster.
As i mentioned in a post above, if these 2 statements were false, broadcasters wouldn't be gobbling up analog FM translators all over the country and feeding them with their HD side-channel programming in order to reach listeners.
And the excuse that it's a interim solution until HD Radio catches on.. PLEASE.. HD Radio has been around a LONG time. If it hasn't caught on yet, it never will. And those who claim they have massive listenership to their HD2 or HD3 programming - PROVE IT. It's more likely those listeners are coming from an internet stream. In NO MARKET thus far is the sale/penetration of HD radios great enough to create a measurable audience. The handful of people that own the radios and use them is insignificant. If you deploy an HD2 or HD3 program feed, and you claim you have significant listenership... Spare me. PLEASE. Go out and buy a compass, a geiger counter, gather a search party and find someone else to fool. After many years in radio engineering, and intimate involvement with HD radio, you can't fool me. Check a few of the 397,000 websites and blogs that support what i say. (i.e. hdradiosucks.com or hdradiofarce.blogspot.com) Then find me 10 that prove HD radio is the best thing since sliced bread - that ISN'T an ibiquity or radio station site or another entity with a financial interest in promoting the technology.

pyaramosam

Post by pyaramosam » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:21 am

We were able to open a huge door for student involvement. It has been great and a growing number of people are able to hear them both online and with HD receivers. How is that a disaster? Going HD was a fraction of what a new station would have cost and we now serve our University and our community better than ever.???

Last edited by pyaramosam on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

superjohnh

Post by superjohnh » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:21 pm

For those of you with too many opinions, no perspective, or knowledge of radio history, they said the exact same thing about FM from 1948 until the late seventies.

:roll: