Geographical Coding in Digital Photos

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Geographical Coding in Digital Photos

Post by rogerwimmer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:06 am

Smile, Doc, you're on Candid Camera! And . . . alert your wife and knock-up the neighbors* because you da man. My question is about digital photographs.

I've recently seen a couple of different TV cop and/or court shows, both of which claimed that part of any digital photo file has a special code that indicates the exact location, by degrees/minutes/seconds latitude and longitude, where the picture was taken. Is this true? If so, where in the file can this information be found?

*In the British sense, not the American. - Geno in KC

Geno: Nice to hear from you again. I left your opening sentence as you wrote it. A little too much caffeine today? Thanks and on to your question . . .

I'm not an expert in photography, so what I'm about to write is what I learned on the Internet. What you are referring to in relation to photographs is known as geocoding, geotagging, or geostamping. These three terms all mean the same thing – the geographical information where a photograph is taken is embedded into a photo and is readable with special software.

Since you have been reading this column for a long time, you know that I don't like to reinvent the information wheel, so please click here for a good explanation of the procedure.

You'll also find a load of information in these searches: Geocoding, Geotagging, and Geostamping.

If you read some of the articles in the searches, you should have noticed that there is a lot of controversy about cell phones and geocoding. Many people are concerned that their location(s) can be determined and used by nefarious individuals.

I hope that answers your question. If not, let me know.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.