z-Score Computation

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

z-Score Computation

Post by rogerwimmer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:55 am

Dr. Wimmer: I just got back my AMT results in an Excel file. They're scored on a 0 to 100 scale. I'd like to see them as z-scores instead. Is there something I can do in Excel to convert them? If so, please instruct me if you are willing. Thanks! - Anonymous

Anon: As I have said many times, z-scores are probably the most useful statistic in behavioral research because they allow for "apples-to-oranges" comparisons. The procedure for computing z-scores is simple.

But before you get started, if you used a research company to conduct your music test, ask someone there to compute z-scores for you. The research company should be able to do that for you in just a few minutes. If you didn't use a research company, then here is what you need:

1. Calculate the Mean for all the scores in your data set (songs in your case).

2. Calculate the Standard Deviation for all the scores in your data set.

3. Calculate a z-score for each item (song) using this simple formula:

z = (Song – Mean) / Standard Deviation

(That's . . . Song minus the Mean divided by the Standard Deviation)

For more information, here is a quick summary of z-scores, and here is an Excel example for you.

I think that should help you, but let me know if you have problems. I'll figure out another alternative for you.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.